Traveling throughout your host country is an exciting part of any study abroad experience. You are there to immerse yourself in a culture. But also remember to explore the surroundings of your new home, make friends with the locals, and really try to get a feel for the city in which you are studying.
- If you travel to other countries while abroad, you must leave a detailed itinerary with your roommate, family, and/or IIT's Study Abroad Advisor.
- In addition to traveling by rail, there are a number of low-cost airlines operating in Europe, such as Ryan Air, Jet2 and EasyJet.
- If you plan on driving abroad, obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) here.
- Don’t forget to use travel websites and books geared towards students. Your new friends may also be excellent guides to local attractions.
- Are you a heritage seeker? Students with family living abroad may decide to meet or re-connect with these individuals and explore family history they are there. This experience will be greatly enhanced by research conducted prior to departure. Remember to contact family members and communicate your plans well in advance.