student hiring POLICies
The Electronic Payroll Authorization Form (EPAF) system for student hires requires that supervisors of student employees, timesheet approvers or proxies, and any administrative personnel who submit PAs complete training and pass an associated quiz before hiring students. If you have completed training, the Student EPAF channel and the workflow worklist channel will automatically appear, within 72 hours, in your MyIIT portal. Read more about this training here.
Resources for Faculty and Staff
The SEO has developed useful resources for supervisors of student employees for hiring, training and evaluation, including: interview questions with screening template, student onboarding checklist, warning notice form, request for additional hours (temporary), student employment acknowledgement letter, a performance evaluation template, and more. See the resources here or on our Forms and Documents page.
- Summer Hiring Dates: Students continuing employment for the summer will need a new EPAF entered. All student payroll/personnel authorizations will expire at the end of the fiscal year on May 31st. You can begin entering the Electronic Payroll Authorization Forms (EPAFs) on Monday, May 21, 2018 for students who will be working summer 2018 term.
- For summer term dates June 1 through June 30, select "2018" drop down. The last date to hire for this period (6/1 - 6/30) is June 16th.
- For the summer term dates July 1 through August 17, select "2019" drop down. You can begin entering the EPAFs for the (7/1 - 8/17) dates on Monday, June 18. The last date to hire for this period (7/1 - 8/17) is August 11th. These dates will automatically populate in the Student EPAF.
- Fall Hiring Dates: You can begin entering the Electronic Payroll Authorization Forms (EPAFs) on Wednesday, August 8, 2018. The start date is August, 19, 2018 and the end date is June 2, 2019 (or June 30, 2019 if you have the budget for it).
- Students can work up to 40 hours during the summer (until August 17, 2018) and up to 20 hours during the Fall and Spring semesters. All jobs combined.
- Graduating Students last day to work is Friday, May 11th.
Federal Work-Study Allocations
- As of fall 2016: 65% of students' earnings will come from the FWS program
- The remaining 35% will be paid by the department up to the eligible award amount.
Students are not permitted to work until their employment documents have been submitted and approved. Supervisors and student hires will receive an employment authorization email from the Student Employment Office when paperwork is processed and approved.
Please follow processes on this website for hiring students.