student hiring POLICies
The Electronic Payroll Authorization Form (EPAF) system for student hires requires that supervisors of student employees, timesheet approvers or proxies, and any administrative personnel who submit PAs complete training and pass an associated quiz before hiring students. If you have completed training, the Student EPAF channel and the workflow worklist channel will automatically appear, within 72 hours, in your MyIIT portal. Read more about this training here.
Resources for Faculty and Staff
The SEO has developed useful resources for supervisors of student employees for hiring, training and evaluation, including: interview questions with screening template, student onboarding checklist, warning notice form, request for additional hours (temporary), student employment acknowledgement letter, a performance evaluation template, and more. See the resources here or on our Forms and Documents page.
Effective July 1, 2019, the new minimum wage requirement is $13.00 an hour.
- Spring 2020 EPAF: You can begin submitting the Electronic Payroll Authorization Form (EPAF) in the MyIIT portal for any NEW Spring hires on Monday, December 15th 2019. This will allow time for any student who needs a social security card to start the process and be able to begin working in the spring semester.
- EPAF Approval: All approvals must be completed in order for the EPAF to move to the next step in the process. Check your approval queue regularly to make sure that there are no EPAFs pending your approval.
- Federal Work Study: If you are hiring FWS students the account should be "6309". You must select the Position Control # that begins with a “W”. The FOAP will automatically populate. If you do not choose "W" for FWS, your department will be paying the student(s) out of your department's budget. Non-FWS students account will populate to "6307".
- Winter Break Hours: Students can begin working up to 40 hours per week starting Monday, December 9, 2019 till Friday, January 10, 2020.
- Termination PAs: If a student is no longer working in your department, send a Termination Payroll Authorization to Kathryn Potts at email@example.com (scan and email) or IIT Tower, 13F4-3 (interoffice mail). If your student is graduating at the end of the Fall semester use the end date 12/14/19 when submitting the PA.
- Graduates Last Day of Working: The last day to work for students scheduled to graduate in December is Friday, December 20, 2019.
- Timesheet Deadlines: Student timesheets that are approved after the 4 p.m. deadline on the Monday that timesheets are due need to notify Michelle Strader at x73424 in the payroll department. Failure to communicate these changes will result in your student not being paid for that pay period and supervisors will need to submit a paper timesheet.
- When are timesheets available? After a student is hired their timesheets are usually available the Thursday before the pay period in which the student was approved.
- Student Training: All on campus student employee training is required to be paid. This means that your student has to be approved to work prior to any scheduled training. Monitor your budgets and adjust your hiring needs accordingly.
- Student Employment Training: If you know that a supervisor is leaving and they are in charge of approving timesheets for students, please make sure to follow the guidelines below to ensure that all students can submit their time and be compensated without a break in the process.
- Contact the Student employment office at: 312.567.6802 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a list of all students along with their A numbers that will be affected to email@example.com along with the A number of the person who is to take over approving timesheets for the affected students prior to the person leaving if at all possible.
- Cease from entering any EPAFs listing the person who is leaving as one of the approvers.
- Make sure that there are 2 approved approvers in your department that can approve the EPAF. This is to ensure that the EPAF does not get stuck in the queue of anyone that is no longer at the university. All EPAFs need 2 approvers.
- Any full time employee who has a desire to become an approver will need to take the Student Hiring Training and quiz. You can contact Muqadas Munir at firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions on enrolling yourself in the Blackboard training for students.
- Resources: Don’t forget to see the resources for students and supervisors on our website under Forms & Documents, like interview question templates, an onboarding checklist, a warning notice form, and more!
As always, we welcome your feedback and questions and appreciate your efforts as supervisors and mentors to our students.
Federal Work-Study Allocations
- As of fall 2016: 65% of students' earnings will come from the FWS program
- The remaining 35% will be paid by the department up to the eligible award amount.
Employment law states that students are not permitted to start working until all paperwork has been submitted and approved. Students must wait to receive an email from the Office of Student Employment stating they can work. Failure to submit paperwork will delay your on-campus start date. Unless otherwise noted students only have to submit the paperwork one time to the student employment office for processing.
Please follow processes on this website for hiring students.