Close Menu

U-Pass Program

Illinois Institute of Technology participates in CTA's UPass program. The CTA U-Pass offers unlimited rides for students on any CTA bus or train during the semester. CTA is transitioned to the Ventra Upass card in August 2013. You will no longer receive a new Upass every semester - your Upass will be good for five years. When school is not in session or you do not qualify as a full-time student you will be able to add money to your card and use it as a transit card. More information on your Ventra UPass can be found here.

Only students who are registered for full time academic hours (Grad students - 9 hours, Undergrad students -12 hours) are eligible to participate in the U-Pass program. The U-Pass fee of $135.00 is a mandatory fee for all full time students and can only be waived by distance learning students who reside 50 miles or more from main campus or students with a valid military UPass. All requests to waive the UPass fee must be submitted by email each semester to by the end of the 4th week of classes. Requests submitted after the 4th week will not be considered.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact Vickie Tolbert in the Office of Student Affairs (MTC 209 or If you miss the initial UPass distribution date, you can pick up your UPass in the Office of the Student Affairs (MTCC 209).

If you are transferring from another institution and already have a Ventra Upass card, you may be able to have it transferred to IIT . Email us at Please include your name, student ID number, name of the college you are transferring from and the 16 digit number on the back of your card.

Notes about U-Pass

  • Only you can use your U-Pass.You cannot share or sell your U-pass. If this rule is violated and your UPass is confiscated your UPass privileges will be canceled by CTA for a full year (you will still be charged the UPass fee).
  • You cannot use your U-Pass on Metra or Pace.
  • If you drop below full time during the semester, you must notify Vickie Tolbert ( in the Office of the Dean of Students immediately. Failure to do so will result in deactivation of your UPass and no refund of the UPass fee.

Replacement U-Pass

  • Handle your card carefully. There is a replacement fee if your card stops working as a result of abuse.
  • If your U-Pass is lost or stolen please contact the Office of Student Affairs or submit your request for a new card online.
  • The replacement fee for a lost/stolen/damaged U-Pass card is $50.00 (non-refundable).