Illinois Institute of Technology participates in CTA's UPass program. The CTA U-Pass offers unlimited rides for students on any CTA bus or train during the Fall and Spring semesters. Illinois Tech does not participate in the UPass program during winter break or the summer terms. When school is not in session or you do not qualify as a full-time student you will be able to add money to your card and use it as a transit card. More information on your Ventra UPass can be found here.
Once you receive your Ventra UPass, please hold on to it. You will keep the same Ventra Upass card until it expires. Continuing Students who have UPasses that are expiring this fall and will be registered full-time in the spring will receive a new replacement UPass at no charge. Cards can be picked up from the Welcome Desk in the MTCC. More information about expiring cards can be found here.
Only students who are registered for full time academic hours (Grad students - 9 billable academic hours, Undergrad students -12 billable academic hours) are eligible to participate in the U-Pass program. The U-Pass fee of $155.00 is a mandatory fee for all full time students and can only be waived by students with a valid military UPass, students with a valid paratransit card or distance online learning students who reside 50 miles or more from Mies campus. All requests to waive the UPass fee must be submitted by email each semester to email@example.com by the end of the 4th week of classes. Requests submitted after the 4th week will not be considered.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Jackie McGhee in the Office of Student Affairs (MTC 209 or firstname.lastname@example.org). If you miss the initial UPass distribution date, you can pick up your UPass at the MTCC Welcome Desk.
If you drop below full time during the semester, you must notify Jackie McGhee (email@example.com) in the Office of the Dean of Students immediately. Failure to do so may result in you not being allowed to activate your next semester's UPass until after the add/drop date. A second violation will result in permanent cancellation of your Ventra card. Once your Ventra card is cancelled it will cost you $50 to obtain a new one.
If you are transferring from another institution and already have a Ventra Upass card, you can have it transferred to IIT . Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, student ID number, name of the college you are transferring from and the 16 digit number on the back of your card.
If you have misplaced your UPass, you can order a replacement card online.
Notes about U-Pass
- Only you can use your U-Pass.You cannot share or sell your U-pass. If this rule is violated and your UPass is confiscated your UPass privileges will be canceled by CTA for a full year (you will still have to pay the UPass fee).
- You cannot use your U-Pass on Metra or Pace.
- If you drop below full time during the semester, you must notify Jackie McGhee (email@example.com) in the Office of the Dean of Students immediately. Failure to do so may result in you not being allowed to activate your next semester's UPass until after the add/drop date. A second violation will result in permanent cancellation of your Ventra card. Once your Ventra card is cancelled it will cost you $50 to obtain a new one.
Fall 2020 Upasses are valid August 22, 2020 through December 13, 2020
Fall 2020 Dates
Because of the evolving situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, for the fall 2020 semester only, full-time students who wish to purchase a UPass must request one. You can do so by completing the Fall 2020 UPass Opt-In Form by Friday, August 7. Please note that this action is only required if you would like to have a UPass for the fall 2020 semester. If you are not interested in obtaining a UPass, you do not need to complete the form and will not be charged for a UPass. Late requests to activate or deactivate your UPass will not be processed after September 5, 2020.
MIES CAMPUS returning students
- Upasses are scheduled to activate on Saturday, August 22nd, if you opted in by August 7, 2020. If you are registered full time, do not have a negative balance on your Ventra account and your UPass is not activated; please email the Office of Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org . Once we receive your request your UPass will activate within one business day.
- Make sure you do not have an outstanding balance on your Ventra account. If you do, your UPass will not activate until the balance is cleared. We recommend that you check your balance and UPass status here before trying to use it for the first time this semester.
- For questions about your balance on your Ventra account contact Ventra at 877-669-8368.
Students New to Illinois Tech This Semester
- If you are registered as a full-time student by August 7th, and you have taken your HawkCard ID photo (before SOAR), your UPass will be available for pick-up.
- New students may now submit their photo online with the Access, Card and Parking Services office.
- If you registered and became full-time after August 7th, your UPass may not be available.
- You must be registered as a full-time student to receive a UPass.
- You must show your Illinois Tech ID to order or pick up your UPass.
- New students living on campus, will receive their UPass from their RA.
- New commuter students will be able to pick up their UPass from the MTCC Welcome Desk.