Undergraduate students may take a maximum of 3 courses as Pass/Fail. The Pass/Fail policy is as follows:
- Only courses designated by a department are eligible for the Pass/Fail option.
- Courses used as free electives in a degree program can be taken as Pass/Fail.
- Courses taken as an extra course which does not apply to the graduation requirements of a degree program can be taken as Pass/Fail.
- Courses applied to a major program or minor program which are designated as eligible for Pass/Fail by the specific major or minor department can be taken as Pass/Fail.
- Instructors will not be notified about those students who are taking a course for Pass/Fail.
- Upon completion of the course, instructors will issue final grades of A, B, C, D, or E. Grade of A, B, C, or D will convert to a grade of S for Pass. Students will receive the credit; however, the grade of S will not be used in GPA calculations. Grades of E will remain as entered by the instructor and will be used in GPA calculations.
- A course taken initially as Pass/Fail only can be repeated using the Pass/Fail grading option.
Additional restrictions on the Pass/Fail option vary according to the major department. A student must contact their major department concerning restrictions.
Students interested in taking a course under the Pass/Fail grading option must first register for an eligible course. Once a student is registered, then the student must submit a petition through Undergraduate Degree Works (available in the Undergraduate Academic Affairs channel of the myIIT portal). This request must be made by the last day to add/drop classes as indicated on the Academic Calendar.
To see a list of eligible courses, students may perform the following steps in the myIIT portal:
- Click on the Welcome tab and then on Registration Dashboard.
- Click on the Browse Classes link and then select the appropriate term.
- Click on the Advanced Search link.
- Leave the Subject field empty. Then scroll down the page to the Attribute field and select "Eligible Pass/Fail Course."
- Click on the Search button to see the list of eligible courses for Pass/Fail.
Questions regarding the Pass/Fail grading option should be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.567.3300.