Close Menu

Taking a Course for Pass/Fail

Undergraduate students may take a maximum of 3 courses as Pass/Fail. The Pass/Fail policy is as follows:

  • Only courses designated by a department are eligible for the Pass/Fail option.
  • Courses used as free electives in a degree program can be taken as Pass/Fail.
  • Courses taken as an extra course which does not apply to the graduation requirements of a degree program can be taken as Pass/Fail.
  • Courses applied to a major program or minor program which are designated as eligible for Pass/Fail by the specific major or minor department can be taken as Pass/Fail.
  • Instructors will not be notified about those students who are taking a course for Pass/Fail.
  • Upon completion of the course, instructors will issue final grades of A, B, C, D, or E. Grade of A, B, C, or D will convert to a grade of S for Pass. Students will receive the credit; however, the grade of S will not be used in GPA calculations. Grades of E will remain as entered by the instructor and will be used in GPA calculations.
  • A course taken initially as Pass/Fail only can be repeated using the Pass/Fail grading option.

Additional restrictions on the Pass/Fail option vary according to the major department. A student must contact their major department concerning restrictions.

Student Procedure

Students interested in taking a course under the Pass/Fail grading option must first register for an eligible course. Once a student is registered, then the student must submit a petition through Undergraduate Degree Works (available in the Undergraduate Academic Affairs channel of the myIIT portal). This request must be made by the last day to add/drop classes as indicated on the Academic Calendar.

To see a list of eligible courses, students may perform the following steps in the myIIT portal:

  1. Click on the Academics tab.
  2. Click on the Look Up Classes link (located in the "Registration Tools" channel) and then select the appropriate term.
  3. Click on the Advanced Search button.
  4. Using the Control key, select all of the entries in the Subject window. Then scroll down the page to the Attribute Type window and select "Eligible Pass/Fail Course."
  5. Click on the Section Search button to see the list of eligible courses for Pass/Fail.

Questions regarding the Pass/Fail grading option should be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs at or 312.567.3300.