- All grade changes must be initiated by the instructor of record using the online Change of Grade Request Form available in the "Office of the Registrar - Faculty & Staff Resources" channel under the Teaching tab of the myIIT portal. Emails and paper forms are not accepted.
- A final grade (A, B, C, D, E, AU, P, F, S, U, NG, or W) cannot be changed to a temporary grade (I, R, or X). For more information regarding the grade marks, consult the official Grade Legend.
- Grade changes submitted within 4 weeks of the end date of the term require only the approval of the instructor. Grade changes submitted after 4 weeks of the end date of the term will require additional approvals from the department chair, academic college dean, and vice provost for Academic Affairs.
The incomplete (I) grade is a temporary grade that must be requested in writing by the student to the instructor of record using the Incomplete Grade Request Form.
- The student must have substantial equity in the course as determined by the instructor.
- The student must complete the Incomplete Grade Request form online and submit the form to the instructor of record for review and approval. The form must be submitted prior to the week of final examinations.
- The request for an incomplete grade is to be approved by the instructor only in cases of illness or for unforeseeable circumstances that prevented the student from completing the course requirements by the end of the term.
- There must be a written agreement between the student and the instructor detailing the remaining requirements to complete the course.
- The Office of the Registrar will post the incomplete grade upon receipt of the approval from the instructor. Directions for the instructor on how to send the approval to the Office of the Registrar are provided in the email request from the student.
- Once remaining requirements have been completed, the instructor must submit a Change of Grade Request Form (available in the "Office of the Registrar - Faculty & Staff Resources" channel under the Teaching tab of the myIIT portal) to change the incomplete grade to a final grade by the deadline indicated on the Academic Calendar. Any remaining incomplete grades will automatically be converted to a failing grade (E, U, or F).
- If additional time is needed to complete the remaining requirements, students may request an extension with the instructor. If approved, the instructor will contact the Office of the Registrar to apply the extension (7th Monday of the following semester, excluding summer). Only one extension can be granted. If the extension is granted, then the instructor will be allowed to submit the Change of Grade Request Form by the new (extended) deadline as indicated on the Academic Calendar.
- The instructor cannot request that an incomplete grade be given for a student without the student first requesting it. If there is no request by the student, then the incomplete grade will not be applied.