The Starting Line
Before we start any job, we’re going to ask you to tell us which of these strategic areas of focus is going to benefit from your project:
- Undergraduate and Graduate Recruitment
- Building the Brand/Enhancing our Reputation
Your project needs to fit into one of these “buckets” because everything we do in marketing is focused on helping the university move its strategic initiatives forward.
Then we’re going to ask you four questions:
- Who is your target market?
- What message do you want to send to them?
- How do you want them to feel when they get your message?
- What do you want them to do after they get it?
These questions help start the conversation and act as the jumping off point for us to understand what you want to do and/or what you want to accomplish.
We never start the conversation with “How much money do you have to spend?” Let’s try to figure out first what you need—and then we’ll give you alternative ways to get where you want to go.
Getting to the (Function) Point
FunctionPoint is a web-based project management solution that our office uses to receive job requests, monitor ongoing jobs, provide quotes and/or invoices electronically, and send you artwork, among many other things. We’re here to partner with you and to help you accomplish your strategic goals. To create an account in Function Point please contact Denise Moriarty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we work with you to find the best way to get you where you want to go, we always keep three phrases in mind:
Is it Strategic?—will it move you forward
Can it be Leveraged?—can we use it in other ways
How will we measure Success?—what metrics will we use to see how well we’ve done
Examples of Marketing Strategies
- Undergraduate Recruitment: A New Positioning for IIT
- Fueling Innovation/The Campaign for IIT: A Strategic Partnership with Institutional Advancement
- Institutional Rankings: How to Impact the Peer Review Score