WIN UP TO $2,500!
The 2017 Chicago Innovation Challenge
COMPETITION YEAR: 2017
ACTIVE DATES (CST): Mon, 21 Aug. 2017 10:00 - Sunday, 1 Oct. 2017 11:59 p.m.
The Contest is a four-stage competition designed to (1) encourage and inspire students to think about creating physical things, applications and applications that control physical things by encouraging them to seek to solve a real-world consumer and/or business need or problem that they have identified, (2) to demonstrate their creativity and inventiveness at solving this problem, (3) to provide an opportunity to earn a monetary prize and, for the noted limited time, free rent at a maker’s co-working space in recognition of their accomplishment.
As more specifically detailed in the Official Rules, individuals from each of the three categories listed below are eligible to participant in the Contest. Participants will only compete against others in their particular category.
- Currently enrolled Illinois Tech students
- Currently enrolled students enrolled in a college or university with a physical presence in Chicago
- Currently enrolled high school students attending any Chicago Public School, Chicago Charter School or Chicago Selective School
Summary of Selected Contest Terms and Provisions
- Contestants can be individual qualifying students or a team of qualifying students. All students must attend the same educational institution when forming a team, and maximum team size is limited to four (4) members. All contestants must attend an educational institution with some physical presence in Chicago.
- Innovations created can be physical things, applications and applications that control physical things. Innovations can also be a combination of ideas. Examples: A thing that talks to a Smartphone via Bluetooth; an application that controls a physical thing.
- As detailed in the Official Rules, by submitting an entry, individuals understand and agree that their name, likeness and other information about them and their submission will be used to generate publicity and for promotional purposes, and the relevant provisions of the Officials Rules regarding such matters should be considered before submitting an entry.
- To register to participate in this Contest, an official entry form, which is available at iitchicago2017 must be submitted after 10:00 a.m. on August 21, 2017 but before 11:59 p.m. on October 1, 2017 (local Chicago times). The deadlines for the three other stages of the Contest and the requirements of each stage are set forth in the Official Rules.
- For the Final Stage of judging, at least one person, as an individual entrant or as part of a finalist team, must be willing to pitch to a panel of judges at a presentation held on or about November 16, 2017.
Cash Prizes and Free Rent at the mHub Co-Working Space, the City’s foremost maker's hub!
1st Place Prize: $2,500 and 6 weeks free rent (a $300 value) at mHub Co-Working Space
2nd Place Prize: $1000 and 6 weeks free rent (a $300 value) at mHub Co-Working Space
3rd Place Prize: $500 and 6 weeks free rent (a $300 Value) at mHub Co-Working Space
Check the Official Rules for all the details!
Registration Deadline October 1, 11:59 p.m.!
A Special Thanks to Our Chicago Innovation Challenge Sponsors!
Lead Sponsor: Fogelson Family Foundation