Close Menu

SEVP Portal FAQs

New SEVP Portal for Students on OPT/STEM OPT

On March 23, 2018, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) began rolling out the SEVP Portal.  This portal allows for students in F-1 status on post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM OPT to update certain information pertaining to OPT.

Please note that using the SEVP portal is optional.

The International Center strongly recommends that all IIT students on OPT and STEM OPT continue to use the International Center’s OPT Employment Reporting App in order to fulfill all OPT and STEM OPT reporting requirements at this time.  All information submitted using the International Center’s OPT Employment Reporting App will be reviewed by an International Center advisor and sent to SEVIS as is our current practice.  You may review the following frequently asked questions for more information about the SEVP portal, and the account creation process.

Why did I receive this email?
All IIT students on approved or active OPT or STEM OPT were or will be contacted directly by SEVP.  You may sign up to use the SEVP portal, however, the International Center highly recommends that you use the International Center’s OPT Employment Reporting App to complete your OPT reporting requirements. All students will receive this email even if you have already completed all OPT or STEM OPT requirements using the International Center’s OPT Employment Reporting App.

Which email will SEVP use to communicate with me?
SEVP will use the e-mail address you have listed in SEVIS.  This is typically your student email address (@hawk.iit.edu).  If you would like to update this email address, please log into the OPT Employment Reporting App. You will also need to use the e-mail address to access the SEVP portal and to set up your account.

What information can I view or report on the SEVP portal?

• Your U.S. Home and mailing addresses;

• Your U.S and International Telephone numbers;

• OPT and STEM OPT employer name and address, supervisor’s name and contact information.

Can I request a new I-20 or travel signature through the SEVP portal?
No.  Only the International Center can issue students an I-20 or issue a travel signature on your I-20.  To request an updated I-20, please submit a Replace Correct Form to icenter@iit.edu

Which information am I required to report while on OPT or STEM OPT?
Visit the International Center
website for more information.

Can I still complete my reporting requirements through the International Center?
Yes! The International Center strongly recommends that students on OPT and STEM OPT continue to report all changes to their personal and employment information using the International Center’s OPT Employment Reporting App.

I am on STEM OPT - can I use the SEVP Portal?
Students on STEM OPT will not be able to add or delete any employers in the SEVP Portal?  To add an employer, you must do so using the International Center’s OPT Employment Reporting App.  Students can only submit a completed I-983 form by emailing it to the International Center via icenter@iit.edu  

What if I have trouble accessing the SEVP portal or have questions about logging in?  
SEVP has created a
website that includes step by step instructions and videos to assist students with logging in. You can also email SEVP using SEVP@ice.dhs.gov.  

For more assistance regarding the SEVP portal, you may use any of the following links:

Lastly, the International Center does not have any additional information about the SEVP Portal other than the information and links provided in this page. Students should not contact the International Center to confirm that they created a portal account. If you have  any questions about the portal or need assistance, contact the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400.