We are excited to welcome you to campus!
Illinois Tech will be offering students arriving from August 10-17th a free shuttle bus ride from O’Hare International Airport. To participate in the free shuttle, you must make a reservation. To reserve a spot on the shuttle bus, please email email@example.com.
To locate the shuttle bus, stay in Terminal 5 (the international terminal) and locate the Illinois Tech table between exit doors A and B. You will need to check in at this table before boarding the shuttle bus.
The shuttle bus will depart O’Hare International Airport at 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. daily between August 10th - 17th. Students are responsible for handling and watching their own luggage at all times while on the shuttle bus.
The shuttle bus will stop at the following locations:
- Downtown Campus
- Prairie Shores apartment complex
- Lake Meadows apartment complex
- Mies Campus
If you are unable to arrive in Chicago when the free airport shuttle is being offered, click here to view alternative methods of transportation to campus.
Arriving on Campus
All incoming international students must stop by the International Center within 24 hours of arriving in Chicago. The International Center is located on the Mies Campus in the McCormick Tribune Campus Center (MTCC) building in room 106. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST. If you have any questions, you can contact the International Center by phone at 312-567-3680.
- Visit www.flychicago.com to learn about services offered at each airport.
- The currency in the United States is the dollar. We recommend having some on you prior to landing in the United States in case you have to pay for anything immediately.
- You should have your destination address ready. We recommend providing the following address for Illinois Institute of Technology: 3201 S. State St. Chicago, IL 60616
At both airports, follow the signs for ground transportation. Once you arrive, look for the taxi line. Stand in the taxi line and when it is your turn to get into the taxi, give them the address of where you are going to.
If you are going to the Mies Campus, we recommend providing the address for McCormick Tribune Campus Center (3201 South State Street). If you are going to the Downtown Campus, the address is 565 West Adams Street.
Below are approximate costs for taxis:
- O’Hare International Airport to Mies Campus: $55 + tip
- O’Hare International Airport to Downtown Campus: $48 + tip
- Midway International Airport to Mies Campus: $30 + tip
- Midway International Airport to Downtown Campus: $34 + tip
Go Airport Express
If you are traveling with family and friends and would like to take a shuttle from either airport to Mies Campus or Downtown Campus, you can get more information by clicking here. Prices start at approximately $35 per person.
Train: Chicago Transit Authority (CTA)
Chicago also has a public train and bus system that can help you get to either Mies Campus. You will need to purchase a transit card to take the CTA. The kiosk accepts cash and credit but does not provide change. The transit card costs $5 and you will need to add $6 per person to get you to your destination.
O’Hare International Airport to Mies Campus:
- From the international terminal, you will need to follow the signs that say, “Airport Transit System” and take the tram to Terminal 2.
- When you get off the tram, follow the signs that say, “Train to City.”
- When you get to the CTA, purchase your transit card and board the next departing train. You are now on the Blue line.
- Take the Blue line to the Jackson stop.
- From the Jackson stop, you will need to transfer to the Red line. Look for the signs that say, “Red Line.” You will have to walk down stairs and through a tunnel.
- Take the Red Line in the direction of 95th/Dan Ryan. You will get off at the stop Sox-35th.
- When you get off the train, walk east towards State street to get to campus.
Midway International Airport to Mies Campus:
- Look for the signs that say, “Train to City.”
- When you get to the CTA, purchase your transit card and board the next departing train. You are now on the Orange line.
- Take the Orange line to the Roosevelt stop.
- At the Roosevelt stop, you will need to transfer to the Green line.
- Take the Green line train going towards Ashland/63rd.
- Get off at the 35th-Bronzeville-IIT stop.
- Walk down the stairs and you will be on Mies campus.