Close Menu

Transferring to Illinois Tech

Transferring to Illinois Tech for F-1 Students
Transferring to Illinois Tech for J-1 Students

If you wish to attend Illinois Tech and already have a visa stamp for another university, you will need to cancel that visa and apply again using Illinois Tech I-20.

If you would like to transfer to Illinois Tech directly from another school, university, or college within the United States, the following F-1 transfer procedures must be completed:

  1. Submit a transfer release form completed by the international office at your previous school to the respective admission office at Illinois Tech (undergraduate, graduate, Stuart School of Business, Chicago-Kent College of Law, or Institute of Design).
  2. Submit copies of all previous I-20s or DS-2019s.
  3. Once this is complete, you will be issued an Illinois Tech SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 form.
  4. Upon your arrival in Chicago, you must report to the IIT International Center within 15 days of the start date on your I-20 to complete the transfer of your F-1 status to Illinois Tech. Please remember to bring all previous I-20s to the International Center for check-in. Failure to do so will result in violation of your immigration status; you will then need to be reinstated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.
  5. If you are transferring to Illinois Tech from another school in the U.S., you may travel using your valid F-1/J-1 visa issued for the previous school and Illinois Tech I-20/DS-2019.

Transferring to Illinois Tech for F-1 Students


  • Admission to Illinois Tech
  • Valid F-1 status at a previous school
  • Enrolled as a full-time student at a previous school
  • Will be enrolled full-time at Illinois Tech in the first semester/quarter after leaving previous school


  • Be enrolled at a high school or university in the U.S.
  • Have offer of admission to Illinois Tech.
  • Complete Illinois Tech's School Transfer and Release form. (See above for forms. Please contact your respective admission office for the appropriate form.)
  • Have I-20 issued to attend Illinois Tech.
  • Obtain a copy of I-20 form from previous school or university.
  • Report to the International Center within the first 15 days of classes at Illinois Tech with your passport, all I-20's issued by both Illinois Tech and the previous school, and your I-94 card.
  • Obtain transfer endorsement on your I-20 (issued by Illinois Tech).


Transfer form for Institute of Design
Transfer form for Graduate Students
Transfer form for Undergraduate Students
Transfer form for Chicago-Kent

Transferring to Illinois Tech for J-1 Students

An exchange visitor in any category may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the objectives of the program and the category for which he or she was originally admitted do not change. The transfer is accomplished through direct correspondence between the institutions.


  • Valid J-1 status at a previous school
  • Be a student, scholar, or professor
  • Availability of time within the given category


  • For students, be admitted to Illinois Tech; for research scholars and professors, have proof of offer/employment letter.
  • Have a new DS-2019 to begin program at Illinois Tech.
  • Transfer release on DS-2019 from the current sponsor, if in the U.S.; if you are planning to leave the country temporarily while changing program sponsors, please contact the International Center.
  • Report to the International Center.

Transfer forms for the J-1 Student