Optional Practical Training is for undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed or who have been pursuing their degrees and are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for, at most, 12 months or up to an addtional 17 months with an extention on a student visa for practical training in their field of study.
All students must complete the tutorial and certificate through blackboard before the IC will accept your OPT application.
For more information regarding OPT and to begin the application process, please review the International Center OPT Tutorial in blackboard. Download the advisor’s recommendation form and the OPT Worksheet to use and refer to while you are completing the tutorial.
To Access the Tutorial
- Log in to your myIIT portal and click on the blackboard icon.
- Once you are in blackboard, click on courses in the top right corner.
- Search courses for OPT.
- Move your cursor over the International Center OPT Tutorial course ID and click the gray circle for the enroll option.
- Click submit.
- You are now ready to take the OPT tutorial!
The following documentation requirements must be met and submitted to the International Center.
- Copy of your EAD card (upon receipt)
- Post-Completion OPT Reporting Survey (to report 10 days after the start date listed on the EAD card even if you are not employed)
- You are also required to report the following within 10 days of the event:
- Change in name
- Change in address
- Employment status
- Interruption of employment
- Permanent departure from the U.S. during OPT
- Change of immigration status
To report on the items listed above, you must complete the Post-Completion OPT Reporting Survey. This online tool is a quick and easy way to maintain your OPT status.
POST-COMPLETION OPT REPORTING SURVEY