Close Menu

Contacting USCIS about your OPT case

Because excessive contact with USCIS can actually slow down your OPT application processing time, it is important that you follow these guidelines when your OPT case is still pending.

OPT APPLICATION (I-765) PENDING LESS THAN 75 DAYS

It is within the normal processing period.  You should NOT do anything!

OPT APPLICATION (I-765) PENDING 75+ DAYS WITHOUT ANY CHANGE IN STATUS

You may contact the National Customer Servie Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 to request that your case be elevated.  This inquiry may help expedite the I-765 adjudication process, but it is not guaranteed.

For more information about submitting a request when an I-765 has been pending more than 75 days, please visit the USCIS Tip Sheet.

OPT APPLICATION (I-765) PENDING 90+ dAYS

You may submit an e-Request Case Inquiry to USCIS.

Do NOT contact USCIS multiple times as it will slow down the process.  You should choose to either call NCSC or submit an e-Request, NOT both!

OPT APPLICATION (I-765) PENDING 90+ DAYS WITHOUT ANY CHANGE IN STATUS 14 DAYS AFTER YOU HAVE INQUIRED

You may contact the International Center with your USCIS receipt number and information about what you have done to reach out to USCIS already (including copies of any emails you have received from USCIS) so that we can look into your case.