The Office of Undergraduate Admission and the Office of Graduate Admission will evaluate all students for institutional scholarships and awards upon admission to the university. Domestic students are highly encouraged to seek additional financial aid by completing a FAFSA. If your financial situation has changed substantially since completing your FAFSA, domestic students can submit a Special Circumstance Appeal.
To apply for federal and institutional financial aid you must be admitted as a degree-seeking student at Illinois Tech. Additionally, you must complete a FAFSA with the Department of Education.
When completing a FAFSA, be certain to take note of the following:
- Illinois Tech’s school code is 001691
- The FAFSA should be filed when the application is released to avoid risking eligibility for federal and state grants
- The Department of Education (ED) will email your Student Aid Report (SAR) 2-4 business days after your FAFSA is submitted.
- Errors preventing the FAFSA from calculating an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be listed in your (SAR). Be certain to correct any inaccurate information, if requested.
- Award letters for admitted students are mailed in February. If you complete a FAFSA after mid-February, expect to receive your award letter roughly two weeks after the FAFSA is completed.
For more tips and resources on completing the FAFSA, check out our Resource Page!
Domestic undergraduate students without a J-1, F-1, H-4 visa and who are ineligible to submit a FAFSA can be considered for additional financial aid by completing the Application for Additional Financial Aid Consideration form. For more information about the admission and application process, resources and financial aid, please click here.
The Department of Education (ED) randomly selects a portion of all FAFSA applications for verification. After our office receives your Student Aid Report (SAR), you may need to submit additional information to our office to verify your FAFSA data. Selected students will receive an email. Incoming freshmen should note that this email will be sent to their hawk.iit.edu account. The verification process needs to be completed before our office can disburse your federal and state awards.*
*The Collens Scholarship is also contingent upon verification. This award cannot disburse until verification is complete.
The Office of Financial Aid realizes a student may face life events which cause their financial situation to change. Illinois Tech can exercise professional judgment to re-evaluate a domestic undergraduate student's financial aid package provided the appropriate documentation is on file. For more information on Special Circumstance Appeal, please click here.