Career Services at Illinois Tech is the place to begin when you want to get serious about pursuing your career. We want you to start thinking about life after Illinois Tech from the first day you walk onto campus. We’re here to help you map out your career plan, to guide you to meaningful work, and to support you throughout your entire professional life.
Career Services Mission Statement
The mission of Illinois Institute of Technology Career Services is to prepare students and alumni to become career-ready and culturally competent graduates. We seek to give each student the strategic tools and perspectives to advance their careers through high-quality coaching, expansive experiential learning opportunities, and a wide industry network supported broadly by the worldwide Illinois Tech alumni community. This approach contributes toward the diversity of Illinois Tech and supports mutually beneficial community relationships in alignment with the university’s strategic plan Many Voices, One Vision.*
*Mission is reviewed and revised (if necessary) on a yearly basis
The next all-campus Career Fair will be on Thursday, February 25, 2021. Details will be on Handshake before the end of the Fall 2020 semester.
Drop-INs and Appointments
Career Services is committed to offering all students and alumni access to services and resources.
For the fall semester, all appointments will take place via video conferencing through our Illinois Tech Google Hangouts application or phone. Students interested in a virtual appointment should schedule through Handshake, and the coach you have chosen to meet with will communicate with you how to connect for your appointment.
Drop-in services will also be offered virtually and will be available through Blackboard Monday - Friday, 9-10am & 12:30 - 3:30 pm.
To stay informed about events, please check Handshake and RSVP to events of interest. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
Director of Operations
Take the First Steps
- During your first semester (yes, your first semester!) at Illinois Tech, meet with a Career Development Coach or Peer Career Coach to start developing your career plan.
- Read the Illinois Tech Career Services Resume Guide and run your resume through VMock to begin to develop a high-quality, professional resume.
- Browse this website and know what resources are available to you.
- Open a Handshake account—our online database for resume posting and job listings.
- Like our Facebook page to keep up with workshops, career fairs, specialized employer events, job announcements, and more.
- Add Career Services events to your calendar.
- Watch Candid Career videos to learn about the career paths available to you.
Develop Your Skills
- Attend our workshops, learn to write a resume that will stand out, get interviewing tips, and discover what career path might fit you the best.
- Research your industry. For example, if you are a civil engineer and you want to work in Chicago, then start following companies that hire...civil engineers!
- Apply for internships and co-ops. Get experience early—and get your foot in the door as soon as you can so that you can make a great impression on a future employer.
- Go to on-campus Career Fairs. It’s never too early to check out which companies are coming to interview Illinois Tech students—and to get tips about finding a great job from students who are getting ready to graduate or alumni who are back to recruit more outstanding talent.
- Practice Interviewing. Use Interview Stream to hone your skills on your own or come in to Career Services to complete a mock interview with a Career Development Coach.
And After You Get That Dream Job...
- Keep in touch and let us know where you landed. We want to celebrate your successes and share your story with incoming students, our faculty, and alumni, including your fellow graduates.
- Take our Graduate Placement Survey. Job placement information impacts improvements for services and programming, and provides a frame of reference for current and future students seeking connections with professionals in their field. Furthermore, generating data on successful job placement increases the value of your degree now and in the future.
- Continue to grow. Once you’re on the job we can help you move up your career ladder with advice and workshops on how to manage a staff, how to handle office politics, and the secrets of successful leaders.
- Come back and visit. Remember where you got your start! When your company needs to hire more bright young men and women, come back and see what the new waves of graduates can contribute to your field.
- Start early by creating goals for yourself and learning what skills you have.
- Start networking with industry leaders and alumni by attending different campus events.
- Start learning how to write a really effective cover letter and resume.
- Start figuring out how to stand out in a crowded, competitive marketplace.
- Start discovering how to interview well.
- Start practicing how to negotiate.
- And start cleaning up your social media profiles!
- Start now—and be ahead of the curve when you launch your career.
Career Services at Illinois Tech. Life after Illinois Tech starts here.