Close Menu

Contact Us

Address

Illinois Institute of Technology
Career Services
McCormick Tribune Campus Center, Room 106
3201 S. State Street
Chicago, IL 60616

Phone: 312.567.6800
Fax: 312.567.6801
Email: careerservices@iit.edu

The Team

ASSOCIATE VICE PROVOST

Thy Nguyen

Phone: 312.567.5257
Email: tnguyen25@iit.edu

Thy Nguyen is the Associate Vice Provost for Career Services.  Thy's primary focus is on engaging and building external and internal relationships with key stakeholders, to create meaningful career opportunities for Illinois Tech students. Thy has been working in the field of Career Services for nearly 19 years at several Chicago area universities. Outside of work, Thy enjoys spending time with his three children and playing the occasional round of golf.  

What brings you joy?  Seeing students find career success in ways that are meaningful to them.

What motivates you to come to work every day?  I want Career Services at Illinois Tech to be the best at what we do in an effort to give all students what they need to succeed.  

What is your favorite book?  I tend to read more non-fiction and biographies but I still find the Lord of the Rings compelling.

If you weren't in Career Services, what would you be doing?  I'd probably be working at a not for profit organization that speaks to my values.

STUDENT AND ALUMNI CAREER DEVELOPMENT

BJ Engelhardt

Director of Operations
Phone: 312.567.5921
Email: jengelha@iit.edu

BJ serves as Director of Operations for Career Services.  He has been working at Illinois Tech for 12 years in both enrollment management/recruiting roles and Career Services.  In his current role, BJ manages the day-to-day activities of Career Services and assists in determining the strategic direction for the office to most effectively engage students, employers, and alumni to ensure that our students are successful in the first step of their career journey.  BJ is a proud alumnus of the IIT Stuart School of Business, receiving his Master’s of Marketing Analytics and Communication in 2014.  

What is important to you? It is very important to me that students feel like their college education is worthwhile and will help them be successful for the remainder of their life.  I want them to really have the opportunity to reflect on the skills and knowledge they are gaining and know how that can translate into a successful individualized career path.

If you weren't in Career Services, what would you be doing? I am a HUGE macro economics geek - I listen to econ podcasts daily and devour books/articles about econ (yes, reading an edition of The Economist cover-to-cover is thrilling for me).  So, if I wasn’t in Career Services, I would want to either be an economics professor or work at a think tank focused on economic issues.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work? I have, since completing my bachelor’s degree, had a side career as a singer/actor.  I’ve been in approximately 15 plays or musicals in Chicago and have sung in a handful of choirs professionally.  I am also an avid rower and am a proud member of the Chicago Rowing Union.

What is your favorite book? Anything by Bill Bryson.  I love his unending curiosity about the world and how things came to be.  If I had to choose one of his books to be a favorite, I’d probably say ‘Home.’

Desmend

Desmend Jetton

Career Development Coach
Phone: 312.567.3338
Email: djetton@iit.edu

Desmend is a West Coast native who was tricked by Chicago summers. He initially came to Illinois Tech as an Americorp VISTA for IIT's Global Leaders Program. Afterwards he used his Americorp scholarship to complete a post-bacc in the School of Applied Technology in Web Application Development. After interning at the Illinois Science & Technology Coalition and seeing the rich innovation ecosystem of Illinois, Desmend is excited for the Midwest's growing technical footprint. 

What inspires you? I'm inspired by people's infinite potential to learn and grow.

What is your favorite book? Count of Monte Cristo

What is something you wish you had known before conducting your first job search? 

People are extremely helpful! There are tons of people that have given me advice and have molded me into the person I am today. Without their investment, I don't know where I would be.

What TV show sums up your life? Heroes

If you weren't in Career Services, what would you be doing? Web/Software development or missionary 

Tiara DeGuzman

Career Development Coach
Phone: 312.567.7027
Email: tdeguzman@iit.edu

Tiara DeGuzman is a Career Development Coach who is invested in helping students to clarify their vision and "follow their bliss." Tiara pursues this mission by facilitating workshops on campus, spearheading career- based access and equity initiatives, and coaching students 1:1 (usually over bubble tea). Outside of work, Tiara has a passion for writing and speaking on topics like career development, creativity, and social justice.

How did you become a Career Development Coach? I got a degree in English at Rutgers University-Camden and then I went to The Ohio State University to get my Masters in Higher Education and Student Affairs. In grad school, I worked in Residence Life, but I fell in love with Career Services work after working as a resume and cover letter practicum coach in the Career Services office at Ohio State. There, I realized I have a passion for giving students the tools they need to advance in their career journeys.

Who or what inspires you? Oprah Winfrey, books and reading- Elizabeth Gilbert, Amy Tan, Toni Morrison and Octavia Butler are some of my favorite authors, James Campbell and his concept of “following your bliss” (look it up!!), traveling and being exposed to different ways of living and seeing the world, seeing others thrive and discover their full potential, writing and journaling, a good bowl of ramen, social justice, theatre and sketch comedy.

What can students expect from an appointment with you? Job and internship search advice. Resume and cover letter edits. Life Mapping prompts. Questions about how they are going to practice self-care while they search for jobs and internships. Words of affirmation. Book and article recommendations. An acknowledgment of the identities that are most important to them. Continuous affirmation and celebration as they advance in their career journey!

If you weren’t in Career Services, what would you be doing? I’d be a talk show host! I’d want to interview inspiring people and talk to them about career development, success, and creativity (maybe there would even be Oprah-esque giveaways for the audience?). I also love to read and write so I would want to write fiction books and books of essays full time!

Peer Career Coaches

Career Services is proud to have several outstanding student workers who provide reviews of resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn, as well as a host of other services.  Please visit the Peer Career Coach Page to learn more.

employer relations & alumni networks

Lisa Montgomery

Director - Elevate Experiential Partnerships 
Phone: 312.567.3777
Email: lisa.montgomery@iit.edu

Lisa L. Montgomery is the Director for Elevate Experiential Partnerships. In this role, she strategically works to pair students with robust internship opportunities at companies that are university partners. Outside of work, Lisa has a not for profit organization, Dreams & Beyond, which supports girls and women serving organizations through research, training, and coaching. She also advocates for literary through her program, The Wild Formula Learning Network by providing free books to youth and promoting sensory learning.

What brings you joy? It is my hearts passion to help youth and women find their passion and fulfill their dreams.

What is important to you? Spirituality is the key to all of my everything! It is my North Star.

What else should we know about you? I love House music, nature, and peach cobbler with ice cream.

What is your favorite book? Devil in a White City by Erik Larson

What is your favorite movie? Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Crash- 2 amazing films that address the deep layers of human diversity

What is your absolute favorite quote? "Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind ot think." -Albert Einstein

Where is your favorite place to vacation? Alabama- soothing laidback, great food, and an abundance of nature!

Celestine McGee

Senior Employer Relations and Outreach Specialist
Phone: 312.567.6484
Email: cmcgee1@iit.edu

Celestine McGee is a seasoned Employer Relations Professional who develops relationships with employers to generate employment opportunities for students. Celestine is passionate about helping others and bringing them together through collaboration and synergy!! Outside of work, Celestine is passionate about running races, writing beauty blogs, and helping others find their inner calm through mindfulness. She is also a passionate entrepreneur for marketing, fashion, beauty and holistic approaches to healthy living concepts.

Where is your favorite place to vacation? Rome Italy is so beautiful!!! It is like being in a walking museum of fine art and intricate detail for beauty of all things.

If you weren't in Career Services, what would you be doing? I would definitely be in the fitness industry, guiding others and helping them achieve their fitness goals through diet, exercise, meditation and holistic living.

What is important to you? Respect and fairness towards others. Treating people that we come in contact with how we in turn would want to be treated- setting an exemplary standard to all beings that we come in contact with.

Budget & Administrative

Pablo Villagomez

Program Coordinator
Data &
 Analytics
Email: pvillag1@iit.edu

Pablo Villagomez is a Program Coordinator that mainly focuses on data analytics. This includes creating data reports for Career Services and other departments at Illinois Tech. Pablo also works closely with Handshake.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work? Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with my family and being out in nature. I enjoy exploring hiking trails and have recently found a love for grilling. I also love watching and playing soccer whenever I get a chance.

What is your proudest accomplishment? One of my proudest accomplishments is being able to start a scholarship in my high school that helped undocumented students pay for their college expenses. Academically, it is graduating valedictorian from my elementary school and top of my high school. I am also very proud that I was able to be captain of my high school soccer team.

Tell us something we don't know about you. A lot of people don’t know that I was born in Mexico and came to the U.S when I was 5 years old. Even though I was very young, I remember how our home looked. In the front of the house there’s a huge tamarind tree and in the back of the house there were lots of mango trees followed by a small river that passes nearby. I guess it’s no surprise why I enjoy being out in nature!