Getting to Campus
For many Commuter students, getting to campus can be difficult and/or confusing. Below you will find information about how to get to campus, modes of transportation around Illinois Tech, and resources to make your time at Illinois Tech better.
- MIES CAMPUS, ID AND STUART RETURNING STUDENTS
- For the Fall semester your UPass will be active from August 20, 2017 through December 10, 2017.
- Upasses are scheduled to activate on August 20, 2017 for returning students who are registered full time by Monday, August 14th. After August 14th information to CTA will be provided again after the add/drop date. If you became full time after August 14th and would like your UPass activated now, please email the Office of Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org . Once we receive your request your UPass will activate within 24 hours.
- Make sure you do not have an outstanding balance on your Ventra account. If you do, your UPass will not activate until the balance is cleared. We recommend that you check your balance and UPass status here before trying to use it for the first time this semester.
- For questions about your balance contact Ventra at 877-669-8368.
- STUDENTS NEW TO ILLINOIS TECH THIS SEMESTER
- We will be taking pictures Saturday, August 18th and Tuesday, August 21st between 10 - 4 in the MTCC Ballroom. If you miss both of those dates, you can order your UPass in MTCC 106.
- You will need your Illinois Tech ID to order or pick up your UPass.
- If you participated in summer SOAR your UPass is likely pre printed. You can pick it up Tuesday, August 21st in the MTCC Ballroom. After August 21, you can pick it up in the OneStop office (MTCC 106)
For more information, please check out the Student Affairs website.
ACCESS CARD AND PARKING SERVICES (ACAPS)
The Access Card and Parking Services (ACAPS) houses our HawkCard and our Parking services. If students drive to campus, they will be the office you will talk to about finding parking on-campus. They have a variety of Parking Permits to meet the needs of our students. Some of the types of parking permits they have include Carpool and Evening permits. For information about parking permits, please check out this website for the most up-to-date information.
CHICAGO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION (CTA)
There are a variety of ways to get to campus. For many of our students who live within the Chicago area, the CTA Trains are the most convenient ways to get to campus. For information about the CTA trains, please check out the CTA website. Below you will find the main train stops that are near the Main (Mies) Campus.
- Green Line - 35th Bronzeville/IIT
- Red Line - Sox-35th
Other ways to campus is through the Chicago Public Transportation bus system. Full-time students who receive a UPass will also be able to access the buses. Check out some of the buses that go through Illinois Tech's campus.
- #29 - State Street
- #35 - 35th Street
- #24 - Wentworth
- #4 - Cottage Grove
If you are commuting to campus via Metra, there are also multiple ways to get to campus.
From Union Station:
- #192 - UChicago Hospitals, Green Line to 35-Bronzeville-IIT or Red Line (95th) to Sox-35th
- #126 - Congress Plaza, Red Line (Ashland) to 35-Bronzeville-IIT
- #60 - Randolph/Harbor Dr, Green Line to 35-Bronzeville-IIT
- #157 - Chestnut/Lake Shore, Green Line to 35-Bronzeville-IIT
From Ogilvie Transportation Center:
- Green Line to 35-Bronzeville-IIT
- #20 - Michigan, Green Line to 35-Bronzeville-IIT
NOTE: Students cannot use their UPass for the Metra.
Many of our current students walk/bike from nearby Bridgeport and Bronzeville. There are also many bike lock stations and repair areas located outside of academic buildings and the MTCC. The Main (Mies) Campus also has access to two Divvy Stations on campus. The locations of the Divvy Stations are at the McCormick Tribune Campus Center (MTCC) and the IIT Tower. For more information about the Divvy program, please check out their website.