Student organizations can receive money to travel to conferences and competitions. Here are some tips and guidelines to help make your travel process an easy one!
All student organization sponsored travel is going to begin with funding. Your organization can ask finance board to cover the costs of transportation, hotel and/or registration for yoru trip. The finance board will only cover a percentage of your travel, so start fundraising early to cover the remaining amount! Once you have received funding, the fun begins!
Once you receive funding, you should begin identifying who will be attending your trip. Once you know everyone attending, please submit the Student Travel Request Form (it is also embedded at the bottom of this page). This form must be completed no less than 6 weeks prior to your trip for a domestic trip, and 1 full year prior for an international trip.
Campus Life will work to approve this form; if approved, you will receive an email confirmation with details on the next steps specific to your student organization. While you are waiting for Campus Life to approve that form, please have all of your members complete the Campus Life Travel Behavior Form. Every member traveling must complete this form (as well as the Risk and Release Waiver that must be uploaded to the Travel Behavior Form.)
To access the Travel Behavior form without using the above link, log into HawkLink. Go to the Campus Life page, click on Forms, and select the Student Organization Travel Behavior Agreement.
- All flights will be purchased through our travel agent.
- Please send this document to us via email to request a quote for flights.
- We will send the flights to our travel agent; once we receive a quote you have approximately one day to confirm them before the fare increases.
- Once you have confirmed, we will send you your confirmation information, as well as what information to submit on your Purchase Request.
- Any students wanting to rent a car on behalf of Illinois Tech will need to be approved on our driver's insurance (this is a $34.95 fee). To do so, please complete this form and bring it in to the One Stop. We will then have you come into the One Stop to sign a second form, authorizing IIT to check your driving history. Please note: you must be over 21 to be approved as a rental car driver.
- You must start this process no less than two weeks before you depart.
- Once approved, we will send you a copy of the insurance card. You will be responsible for renting your car; upon your return, you can submit a Purchase Request for a reimbursement of costs.
Driving a personal car
- If you have your own car and wish to drive this instead of renting a car, that is an option. You'll need to provide Campus Life a copy of your insurance card when submitting your request for reimbursement.
- Mileage reimbursement for those driving their own personal cars is based on the IRS mileage reimbursement. As of January 2018, that is 54.5 cents per mile.
In order for Campus Life to pay for your hotel, someone in your organization will need to make the reservation. When making the reservation, ask the hotel for a Credit Card Authorization Form. Submit this form and a copy of your reservation summary to your Purchase Request at least two weeks prior to your departure. When you check out, ask for a copy of your receipts and bring those into the One Stop.
Once you return, Campus Life will provide you the amount that each person owes (a minimum of 25% of your hotel and transportation costs, depending on your finance board allocation and final costs.) If your organization is paying for this out of your fundraising account, please submit a PR with the total cost to be paid. If each member is paying out of pocket, have them use this link. Once everyone has paid, please notify Campus Life.