Welcome to Graduate Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration!
Illinois Tech is committed to the academic and personal success of our students. SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration) is designed to introduce incoming students to campus resources, academic advising and a group of their peers. SOAR is offered at the start of each semester for first year graduate students.
So...are you ready to SOAR into Illinois Tech? We are very excited to have you as a member of the Illinois Tech community and look forward to having you on campus!
Due to the impact of COVID-19, Illinois Tech is bringing SOAR online for summer 2020.
You will have the opportunity to participate in live sessions throughout your scheduled SOAR week or access pre-recorded sessions on your own time. We strongly recommend the attending live sessions as they are more dynamic and your SOAR leaders will facilitate activities with you and your fellow classmates. Live sessions will take place in the daytime in 2-3 hour increments. Session times will be emailed to you in the week leading up to your registered SOAR week.
SOAR Dates and Registration
The final SOAR session is on August 18 from 10 a.m - 3 p.m. It is open to all undergraduate and graduate students, including incoming international, first-year, and transfer students. This session will take place virtually.
SOAR participants will be able to...
- Explain your academic requirements and expectations
- Identify resources that will assist you in succeeding academically and socially at Illinois Tech
- Describe how to get involved within the Office of Campus Life and Campus Recreation at Illinois Tech
- Describe ways that you can help create an inclusive community
- Understand how to navigate the technology services that you will use throughout your experience at Illinois Tech
- Understand the purpose of higher education and identify how it relates to your education goals
- Describe the rights and responsibilities associated with being a part of the Illinois Tech campus community
- Be familiar with faculty, staff, and students on campus