New Student Checklist
We realize there's a lot to do before you arrive on campus. Use the list below to help you stay organized before coming to campus.
Before you arrive on campus
- Pay your enrollment deposit here.
- Review Student Accounting's checklist for upcoming important dates.
- Submit all outstanding documentation to the Office of Financial Aid for the upcoming year.
June 5 is the priority submission date for all financial aid documents.
- Make sure you're checking your Hawk.iit.edu email account. Many important communications are waiting for you.
- Check your student portal (my.iit.edu) for any outstanding requirements under the Finances Tab under "Eligibility Requirements". Submit any outstanding documents to email@example.com.
- Planning to live on campus? Fill out your Room and Board contract on MyRoom. Submit your Room and Board Contract as soon as possible to reserve a room on campus.
- Register for SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising and Registration). Register is required for all incoming students.
- Turn in your immunization records to Student Health and Wellness Center and waive the student health insurance (if applicable).
- Sign up for a meal plan here. Fill out the Meal Plan Accommodations for Religiously Observant Students if you are requesting an accommodation.
One week Prior to SOAR!
- Complete the math placement test online (if requested)
- Complete the essay for writing placement (if requested)
- Use the new student advising channel in MyIIT to make a draft schedule for your first term.
- Review your financial aid award and determine if you need additional guidance regarding any outstanding requirements, verification, loans, etc.
- Looking for an on-campus job? Visit Handshake!
- Sign up for HawkLink to learn more about student organization and campus events.
Once you're at SOAR!
- You will receive the schedule for SOAR when you arrive on-campus. There will be time to take your HawkID picture. Those who attend SOAR during June/July will allow for them to pick up the UPass when they arrive to campus during the first week of campus.
- Listen to different campus partners about the resources they provide.
- Meet fellow Scarlet Hawks.
- If you are a Commuter student, learn more about the resources available to students who commute to campus.
- Meet with an advisor to talk about your schedule or any last minute questions.
- Take care of any paperwork that needs to be turned in after the SOAR program ends.
Once you're on campus
- Attend Welcome Week: August 12-18. For more information about Welcome Week, click here.
- Get your U-Pass! This card can be used for unlimited rides on the CTA.
- If you're living on campus, please attend Residence Hall Community Meetings.
- Sign up for the Emergency Text Alert system.
- Stay active with Recreational Sports and Fitness by signing up for IMLeagues.
- All new Illinois Tech students are required to complete the Campus Clarity Think About It online course. Participants will examine the interconnected issues of hooking up, substance abuse, sexual violence, and healthy relationships. The course takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours to complete. Students who do not complete the course may not be able to register for classes in future semesters. Specific instructions on how to complete the course will be sent to your Hawk email. For more questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review the IIT Student Handbook and Code of Conduct here.
- Still have Financial Aid questions? Meet with a counselor in Perlstein 206.
- Attend one of ur many Welcome Week programs to meet fellow Scarlet Hawks!
If you're a graduate student, please click on a link below to find your checklist: