Many members of the IIT community are committed to doing volunteer work in the neighborhood, around Chicago or even in various national and international locations. If you would like to get involved, here are some ideas.
We host service learning and community service opportunities throughout the year. These are wonderful ways to get involved in the community, get to know fellow students outside of the classroom, and put your values into practice. Service learning allows participants to engage in activities that change both the recipient and the provider of service. These activities are meant to promote a sense of caring for others, along with an opportunity for self-discovery and personal development.
Here are just a few of the ongoing and previous programs offered or co-sponsored by Campus Life. Have an idea for a program, or looking for something you don’t see here? Contact us!
- Fast to Feed - Co-hosted with IIT’s Muslim Student Association, this annual event takes place during Ramadan in support of the homeless and the hungry in Chicago. Our goal is simple but profound: To learn to be more charitable by experiencing the hunger faced by people around you. Then, break the fast with the Muslim community and experience the joy of eating some international cuisine. The event is FREE, but we accept donations on behalf of the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
- Volunteer Service Fair - Held every August, this event is your opportunity to meet representatives from organizations throughout Chicago that are looking for volunteers.
- National Days of Service, including Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and September 11 Day of Service and Remembrance.
- Tech Gives Back - The biggest single service event at IIT! Volunteering takes place at various sites from the neighborhoods around the IIT main campus and across Chicago.
- Blood Drives and Bone Marrow Registration Drives - We partner with Heartland Blood Centers to do on-campus blood drives throughout the year, and Be the Match to recruit bone marrow donors and raise awareness.
- Museum of Science and Industry Volunteership/Internship Program - In this partnership exclusive to IIT, each semester we select 12 undergrads to perform live science demonstrations at the Museum of Science and Industry. Volunteers who successfully complete the program are eligible to apply to a full-time, paid summer internship at the Museum. Eight students are selected for the internship each summer.
- Camras Service Retreat - Held in the fall semester, this is an annual event co-sponsored with the Camras Scholars Program and open to all students.
- Greek Week Philanthropy Night - Co-sponsored with IIT’s Greek Council.
On the Web
In the Neighborhood
Looking for opportunities to pursue on your own? There are many organizations in the area that would love volunteers.
Symphony of Bronzeville
3400 S. Indiana Ave.
Schools and Day-care Programs
Center for New Horizons
4150 S. King Drive
Henry Booth House
2929 S. Wabash Ave.
St. James School
2920 S. Wabash Ave.
Stephen A. Douglas School
3200 S. Calumet Ave.
Tutoring, Mentoring, After-school Programs
St. James Extended Care Program
2920 S. Wabash Ave.
3763 S. Wabash Ave.
Service Events on Campus Calendar