Close Menu

Your Memories

“I took the Organizational Behavior class with Professor Barlow. Great lectures from you, Professor Barlow! You taught us well about leadership and about being innovative. Those lessons learned then are relevant even today in 2015! This particular course encouraged the technology-focused candidates to have a more comprehensive business view as well when solving problems. It was a transformational course indeed! Thank you, Stuart School of Business!”
— Suj Perepa (M.B.A. ’96)

“Architecture students were working (drafting) in Crown Hall on a weeknight in spring, a night like any other, except for a very strong wind outside. We could see the large, upper panes of glass (10'x15') flexing under the force of the wind, but no one left. Apparently, a particularly strong wind gust hit and one of those large upper panes on the east wall shattered and fell. THAT got our attention, but remarkably all the glass fell OUT, not on the floor. The blinds remained, flopping around in the wind of the now OPEN window. We were located away from the windows, and some broken glass didn’t change our looming due date. We went back to work. Later, discussion in class made the incident a teaching opportunity. We learned the answer to the riddle of why the glass broke on the opposite side of the building (east) from the wind direction (west), and why the glass went out rather than in. We learned that an architectural flaw in the 1952-era window frame detail, combined with the stormy winds, probably caused the failure. It was a memorable object lesson for all aspiring architects and engineers: Errors have consequences, but failure is often the path to making things better. In later years, Crown Hall’s entire 660 feet of window wall was redesigned and replaced to assure that it couldn’t happen again. That was an education!”
— Kim Apel (ARCH 75, M.S. CRP 77)

“It was the late 1970s and Crown Hall was a vibrant mix of planning, architecture, and design students. Those of us in planning learned critical thinking with a sense of humor and a healthy touch of skepticism from such larger-than-life personalities as Peter Beltemacchi, David Bielenberg, and Erdmann Schmocker. We learned how all things are connected and how physical design relates to people and nature. Places like Pullman, Riverside, Park Forest, and Greendale, Wisconsin, were our outdoor laboratory, and neighborhood ethnic restaurants served as seminar sites. I have to say that the master’s program in city and regional planning in its entirety was my favorite IIT memory.”
— Robert Sullivan (M.S. CRP 80)

“The night before my last final for the fall 2013 semester, I joined many of my classmates in an overnight review in Galvin Library. Even though I ended up just barely passing that exam, it was a lot of fun studying (and doing a bit of cramming!) with everyone else. It was nice knowing that we were all in this together, and I would recommend group study to anyone who needs help understanding concepts they feel lost or confused about.”
— Sneha Saraf (CS 14)

“The predecessor of Rice Campus, IIT West, was located in the M Building at College of DuPage. That was a temporary building that was more permanent than had apparently been planned. The structure was made of some kind of rusty corrugated steel that looked like it bled into the concrete sidewalk near the building. It wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing place on the outside, but the learning environment inside was great! I enjoyed my classes and coursework immensely.

One of the funniest things I remember is when my two classmates and I went to the PC lab to do something for an assignment. Dr. Carlson was working with another student on his project. I was asked to enter a short message on the PC adjacent to me. I typed something like "Hi, Cecelia. How are you?" hit Enter, and the poor guy's program crashed. I apologized, saying I hoped he hadn't lost all his work, suggesting maybe I'd entered too many characters and overflowed his buffer.

Dr. Carlson asked me what I'd typed, so I told him. He asked his student how many characters he had for his buffer. It turned out I had put in too long a message. Dr. Carlson asked me what program we were in, so we all said we were there for M.B.A.'s. He looked at me and said something along the line of I ought to be there for CS. I stammered back, ‘No, really, I just work with PCs and Windows. It does this all the time. It's basically the blue screen of death.’”
— Claire Pieterek (M.B.A. 90)

“One of my favorite memories was hosting my own program on WIIT Radio 64. I was there when it went FM, and in my senior year I actually had the most popular program on the air and won the Announcer of the Year award. I actually went on to produce a few radio dramas after I graduated. I also remember taking an unusual course that was offered, Science Fiction Writing. Since then I have done a lot of writing, including my first science fiction novel that will be released the spring of 2015. The hero of the story is an IIT student!”
— Steve Bellinger (PSYC 72)

“I miss mingling in the library, walking between old antique books. It reminds me that it's not about how bright you can get, but how long it will last. IIT gave me the opportunity to create memories not only about school, but also about Chicago and all the people I met—all the small experiences I had. My favorite IIT memory is the moment I graduated from school, but at that specific moment I felt that the new journey would start by being an IIT alumni.”
— Sultan Felenban (M.B.A. 14)

“It was either 1975 or 1976. Every student was under a lot of stress. Somehow, a yellow Volkswagon Beetle was pushed into the middle of 33rd Street, between Michigan Avenue and the ‘El’ tracks. The dorm residents pushed the car toward the frats, and the fraternity residents pushed the car toward the dorms. There was a lot of cheering and shouting, and the Chicago police showed up. Recognizing that the students were just ‘blowing off steam,’ the police officer pulled out his megaphone and started calling the play-by-play. Sometimes the dorms were winning, and sometimes the frats were ahead. I filled a wastebasket with water and dumped it on a ‘frat rat.’ Next, I heard, ‘Get her!’ and I was carried off and dropped in the Sig Eps’ pool. I don't remember who finally ‘won,’ but it was a great time!”
— Patty King Paolicchi (ME 79)

“In 1955, as a brand new and exhausted freshman architecture student in Crown Hall, I sat down on a Barcelona chair and kicked up my feet on the matching foot stool and dozed off in the warm sun. I was awakened when a swift whack from a cane hit very hard on both my ankles. In front of me stood a very formidable, elderly, and portly white-haired gentleman holding a cigar. Looking very sternly at me, he declared loudly in a very heavy accent, ‘Take your feet off my chairs’ and wandered off. I found out that I had just met Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. I don't think I ever sat in those Barcelona chairs again.”
— John Konstantin Harasciuk (ARCH 61, M.S. RCP 83)

“When I was working at the library on campus, Marvin Camras would sometimes stop by the exhibit of his work on the top floor. He was kind enough to explain the relevance of each item in the display to me, and I know I am fortunate to have met him. Many of us of that time will remember attending a lecture by Edward Teller as well—certainly an amazing experience. I also remember taking turns sleeping on the floor of the Modern Physics Lab, under a paper palm tree, waiting for the diffusion pump to finish its work, though I’m not sure any of us would have categorized that part of the experience as fortunate!”
— Catherine Mulvey (PHYS ’93)

I attended the summer sessions and they were the highlights of my college education. My master’s thesis was the foundation for a 12-year career in sculpture, which I am very proud of having done.”
— Jerry Deasy (M.S. DSGN ’70)

I was part of the design group that competed in a collegiate competition sponsored by Armco steel company and the Marine Technology Society. The theme was hydrospace. The 14-member team worked under the guidance of Professor Charles Owen at the Institute of Design. We were to deliver a representative model of our research to Houston, Texas, by the end of the semester. “Chuck,” as we affectionately called Professor Owen, had us organize the research on a new computer program he had developed. It was one of the first design applications using computers to structure the final solutions. We were to build and present research conclusions in model form.

As the semester progressed Chuck kept us working on the computer program even after we warned him that we were running out of time and still had not started on the final model solution. Christmas break was upon us and we had barely started the physical model presentation. About half of the students were from out of state. To make a long story short Chuck almost in tears begged the team to stay over Christmas break. It ended up that about half of the team worked 24/7, sleeping on drafting tables and eating vending machine food. The models were delivered to Houston on time and the Institute of Design placed first or second. Our hydrospace models and material were sent to Japan, where it was put on display and studied.

I got a great education at IIT and went on to get 30 patents working for various companies and worked as an independent design consultant.

— Gary Hasegawa (DSGN ’70, M.S. ’79)

I just saw the 20-minute history of IIT. Great job. That was terrific.

I have a personal interest in that video. My own personal history at IIT goes back 50 years. I started as a grad student in 1964, got my doctorate in psychology here, was the Counseling Center director from ’77–86, taught part time, and have been with the Center for Research and Service for the past 10 years, and in between have been on alumni boards.

I feel privileged to have touched base with some of the legends in that video. Marvin Camras was (among other things) an amateur violin maker, and when I was the Counseling Center director, he called me and (since Im an amateur violinist) invited me to do a presentation with him where we tried out different fiddles and evaluated the sounds.

Also, I had the honor of working with Lois Graham on occasion during those years.

In addition, my late step-father, the Honorable Judge Harry G. Hershenson, was a graduate of Chicago-Kent (1920), was honored late in his life by Chicago-Kent, was a WWII hero (as a military governor in Italy), and was a co-founder of the Civil War Round Table (along with his friend Carl Sandburg). His priceless collection of rare Civil War books and memorabilia is in the Chicago-Kent Library (the Harry and Anita Hershenson collection).

So, theres so much history at IIT, and its been a thrill for me to have been touched by even a small part of it. That video brought back many, many wonderful memories for me. Thank you again.
— Sander Marcus (M.S. PSYC ’68, Ph.D. ’69)

“My favorite IIT memory happened about two years after graduation. My colleague and I were talking about possible solutions to a problem we had encountered with a customer’s application of our product in the field. I offered to my colleague that the solution we were discussing would likely cause some other issues based on my understanding of the material properties of the steel we were proposing to use. My colleague, a graduate from a different engineering program in the area, looked at me in amazement. He asked where I learned the things I was talking about. He asked what ‘special classes’ I must have taken to understand the issues as I did. I told him I had no special classes and I learned these concepts as part of my core education. That was the first, but not the last, time I realized the value of my IIT experience.”
— James Kiriazes (ME 88)