This coming summer, faculty and staff will have an opportunity to employ bright and skilled young people on our campus, at no cost to the university.
In collaboration with the Office of Student Employment, the Student Access, Success & Diversity Initiatives department is working with After School Matters (ASM) to employ trained, Chicago-area teens on our campus for the summer. The teens in this program will receive professional development training from ASM and they will be ready to take the next step toward their future through gaining valuable work experience.
In addition to working on campus, this is a great opportunity for the teens to be on a college campus, and consider IIT as an option when applying to college, which they may not have otherwise considered.
- The teens will be paid by After School Matters and can work up to 20 hours per week for 6 weeks, from June 26 to August 7.
- The duties in your office can range from answering phones, filing, data entry, assistance with event planning, etc.
- Deborah Young will serve as the campus point person.
Interested offices or departments, email Deborah Young at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 17.
You will need to provide the following:
- the name of the potential supervisor
- a job title and description for the student
- a proposed work schedule
Departments/supervisors are also responsible for completing an evaluation at the end of the program.
Last summer, we employed 13 teens on campus and the departments that worked with the teens had only glowing remarks and positive feedback on the level of skills, willingness to learn and professionalism the teens possessed. This summer, it would be great to see the number of teens increase to 20, if not more.