FAQs for Students

1. When can I start my online timesheet?
    You may begin to complete your online timesheet within 24 hours of payroll authorization approval by the Student Employment Specialist.
    • NOTE: The Student Employment Specialist cannot approve payroll authorizations (PAs) submitted by supervisors on the Friday, Monday or Tuesday before a bi-weekly pay date. This means the student will not see his or her online timesheet until the Thursday before that pay date. For example: for the pay period January 25 to February 7, 2009 any PA submitted February 6 – 10 cannot be approved by the SEO before Wednesday, February 11.
  2. When can a student start to work?
    A student can begin working as soon is the Payroll Authorization is approved by the Student Employment Specialist. The student and supervisor will receive an email notification that the student is eligible to start to work. You are in violation of the Federal Labor Law if you start working before you receive the email. Your job will be terminated.
  3. What documents do I need to complete to start my job?
    Please review the Hiring Processes for a list of specific documents that must be submitted.
  4. Where do I submit my paperwork?
    All paperwork (I-9, W-4, etc.) must be submitted to the Student Employment Office, located on the 13th floor of the IIT Tower, Suite 13F4-3 and not to the hiring departments. Walk-in hours are Monday - Friday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  5. If I am an international student, do I give the Social Security card receipt to the Office of Global Services for entry?
    No; submit your social security card receipt for I-9 processing to the Student Employment Office with your other hiring documents. Your social security card receipt will allow your paperwork to be processed until your Social Security Card arrives.
    • Note: There is an exception to this for Chicago-Kent student employees, whose paperwork should be prepared by the PA preparer and submitted to the Office of Administration & Finance, DTC Suite 265, who then submits the paperwork to the Student Employment Specialist via inter office mail once it is checked for accuracy.
  6. If I am an international student, what do I do when I get my Social Security card from the social security Office?
    When you receive your social security card you must bring it to the Student Employment Office for the completion of your I-9 paperwork.
  7. What If I begin working before the preparer has the information to complete the PA?
    Students must not begin working until the student and the supervisor have received an email from the SEO confirming that all paperwork has been completed and the student can begin working. You are in violation of the Federal Labor Law if you start working before you receive this email. Your job will be terminated.
  8. What if I never go to the Student Employment Office to complete my paperwork?
    Your supervisor has to have received an email approving you, the student, to begin work. The Student Employment Specialist will then attempt to follow-up with you, the student, after three days to remind you to submit missing documents to the Student Employment Office. The Student Employment Specialist will reject PAs after one week if you, the student, have not submitted your paperwork.
  9. How do I contact the Office of Student Employment?
    The Student Employment Office is located on the 13th floor of the IIT Tower, Suite 13F4-3. Walk-in hours are Monday - Friday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. You can contact the Student Employment Office at 312-567-5729 or by email, at seo1@iit.edu. Appointments can be made for special circumstances.
  10. How and when am I paid?
    Students are paid bi-weekly on the same schedule as the university. Participation in direct deposit is strongly encouraged. Payroll Calendars are available on the Controller's website. Students who do not set up direct deposit will have their paychecks mailed to their official mailing address.
  11. How many hours can I work?
    Student Employees, whether Federal Work Study (FWS) or non-FWS, shall work no more than 20 hours per week in any combination of positions or departments at IIT during any week in which regular classes are scheduled (i.e. during the fall and spring semesters). During summer semesters and university breaks, students are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week.
  12. Can I work more than one job simultaneously?
    All students can work multiple jobs, permitted they do not exceed 20 hours per week. Federal Work Study (FWS) students can only work one FWS job.
  13. Where do I enter my hours?
    Through the MyIIT Portal, following these steps:
    • Step 1: Log in to MyIIT
    • Step 2: Click on the WORK tab,
    • Step 3: Click on the EMPLOYEE DASHBOARD
    • Step 4: Click on ENTER TIME under My Activities,
    • Step 5: Enter all the hours you worked for during the biweekly period including time in and time out during breaks, if any,
    • Step 6: Click SUBMIT

Any hours submitted for more than 5 hours in a day MUST include a ½ hour lunch.