Frequently Asked Questions
I received a waitlist notification. How do I register?
After receiving a waitlist notification, you must move yourself from the waitlist to the class roster by following the instructions below:
- Log in to myIIT.
- Click on the Academics tab.
- Click on "Add or Drop Classes."
- Choose the Term and click on the Submit button.
- Enter your registration PIN and click the Submit button.
- For the waitlisted course, choose "Student Registered" from the Action drop-down menu and click the Submit Changes button.
I have been on the waitlist for a long time, and I have not received a waitlist notification. What should I do?
You have two options:
- You may register for a different section of the same course that is open.
- Or, you may contact the department to see if you can be moved up higher on the waitlist or see if more seats can be added to the section. View our Waitlist Managers page for department contact information.
Important Facts about Waitlisting
- Your order on the waitlist is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You must meet all course requirements before being allowed to waitlist. Course requirements include:
b. All restrictions such as level, class, field of study, college, department, degree,
program, and student attribute
- You can only waitlist for one section of a course. You cannot waitlist for multiple sections of the same course.
- You can NOT waitlist for a different section of a course for which you are already registered. For example, if you are registered for MATH 151-01, you cannot waitlist for MATH 151-02 or any other section of MATH 151. You must drop MATH 151-01 first, then waitlist for the section of MATH 151 that you would like to register.
- Waitlisted courses do not satisfy prerequisites, corequisites, or links for other courses.
- You can waitlist for a course that is in time conflict with a registered course.
- You can waitlist for a course that is a corequisite to another course.
- You can waitlist for a course section that is linked to another course section. For example, CHEM 124 lectures are linked to CHEM 124 labs, which require registration for both a lecture and a lab concurrently. You can waitlist for a CHEM 124 lab without having waitlisted for a CHEM 124 lecture. However, once a seat becomes available in the CHEM 124 lab, you must register for the CHEM 124 lecture and the lab concurrently.
How to Waitlist
Click herefor detailed instructions on how to waitlist.
You will NOT be automatically registered after waitlisting for a course. A waitlist notification will be emailed to your IIT email account when a seat becomes available for you. The seat is reserved for you until the expiration date and time in the email or until you complete the registration, whichever one comes first. The expiration date and time is viewable on your Student Detail Schedule in Banner Self-Service through the myIIT portal.
Check your IIT email account daily! You will be notified via email when a seat has become available for you. Once you add yourself to a waitlist, it is your responsibility to check your email daily to see if you receive a waitlist notification for an available seat.
Waitlist notifications DO EXPIRE! Waitlist notifications are emailed to your IIT email account when seats become available and will remain on your account for 72 hours (or for 24 hours beginning the Monday before the first day of classes). Please check the waitlist notification for the expiration date and time. If you do not complete the registration by the deadline given in the notification, then you will be removed from the waitlist and the seat will become available to the next student on the waitlist. If there is no other student on the waitlist, then the seat becomes an open seat and is available to any student who registers.
Last Day to Waitlist
You can waitlist up to the last day of add/drop—see the Academic Calendar. All waitlists will be purged of any remaining students on the following day.