Optional Practical Training is for undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed or who have been pursuing their degrees and are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for, at most, 12 months or up to an addtional 17 months with an extention on a student visa for practical training in their field of study.
Optional Practical Training Tutorial
The following documentation requirements must be met and submitted to the International Center.
- Copy of your EAD card (upon receipt)
- Post-Completion OPT Reporting Survey (to report 10 days after the start date listed on the EAD card even if you are not employed)
- You are also required to report the following within 10 days of the event:
- Change in name
- Change in address
- Employment status
- Interruption of employment
- Permanent departure from the U.S. during OPT
- Change of immigration status
To report on the items listed above, you must complete the Post-Completion OPT Reporting Survey. This online tool is a quick and easy way to maintain your OPT status.
POST-COMPLETION OPT REPORTING SURVEY