A cable connection is included in every residence hall room or apartment; residents must supply their own television and coaxial cable. There are also televisions located in common areas of all residential facilities for your convenience.
Standard Definition Channels
|25||The Weather Channel|
|46||Big Ten Network|
|52||Fox Movie Channel|
|73||FOX Soccer Channel|
|74||FOX Soccer Plus|
High Definition Channels
|5.2||NBC Chicago Nonstop|
|7.2||Live Well Network|
|7.2||Live Well Network SD|
Connecting Your TV
- Locate the cable TV faceplate in your room. If the face place is missing or damaged, place a work order through Housing & Residential Services.
- Using a standard TV patch cable, connect your TV to the cable faceplate in your room.
- Set up or program your TV to work properly with the IIT Housing & Residential Services cable TV system. The TV needs to be set up as IRC.
Troubleshooting Cable Connection
Many connection problems can be solved by reprogramming your TV. Try one of the following suggestions: 1) Make sure your TV is set to receive a signal from "Cable TV" or "CATV" (not "antenna" or "air"). This can be done by a physical switch, or on newer sets from a selection from an on-screen menu.
- If there are multiple settings for the type of cable TV system, set your TV for an "IRC" cable system.
- Once the settings are correct, you should have your TV "auto-scan" channels. This will allow you to use the TV's "channel up/down" feature to skip over channels that are not in use on the IIT Housing Services system. (Certain channels on the IIT Housing Services cable TV system are reserved but not yet in use; when those channels are activated, you will need to add them manually or repeat this process.)
- Different TV manufacturers (or TV models) have different ways to perform these tasks; check your TV manual for specific instructions.
- If your TV is not cable-ready, converter boxes are available for your use. In this setup, leave your TV set on channel 3, and use the converter box to select the desired cable channel.
To report cable TV issues in your residence hall room or apartment, please submit an online work order to Residence and Greek Life.