Close Menu

Carman Hall

Designed by Ludwig Mies Van der Rowe, the legendary architect who designed Illinois Tech’s Main Campus, Carman Hall is a furnished apartment building for graduate students, underclassman over the age of 23, and Student Family Housing. Studio and one-bedroom with den apartments are available on a academic year contract (August to May). Based on availability, contracts can be renewed for consecutive academic terms. Take a virtual tour hereTo reserve an apartment in Carman, click here.

Campus housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis. It is recommended that graduate students submit contracts for housing as early as possible.

New this year: Graduate students can contract to live on campus for just the fall semester. Meal plans are optional for graduate students live in Carman Hall.

Carman Hall Rates

Carman Hall rates are listed below. Residents contract for an individual space within an apartment. Residents may select their own roommates, or select the apartment for single occupancy.

Apartment TypeApartment Details2016-2017 Academic Year Rate (per person)2016-2017 Semester Rate (per person)
Studio Studio apartment for 2 students. Fully furnished. No central air (One spot cooler provided).  $6,648.00 $3,324.00
One Bedroom with Den One bedroom with den. Apartment for four students. Fully furnished. No central air (One spot cooler provided).  $5,498.00 $2,749.00
One Bedroom with Den. Single room option Private bedroom in one bedroom with den unit. Other room may be at double occupancy. Fully furnished. No central air (One spot cooler provided).  $10,996.00 $5,498.00
Student Family Housing Studio Apartment reserved for student families; see additional paperwork for capacity information $9,972.00 $4,986.00

Floor Plans


One Bedroom with Den*

Each resident is provided a study desk with chair, a dresser, and an extra long twin bed. In addition, each apartment is furnished with a couch and dining table with four chairs (one bedroom with den only), and kitchens are equipped with a gas range and refrigerator.

*All floor plans, room sizes, and furniture depictions are approximate.


Carman Hall is a residential apartment building for a specific student population. Residents must meet one or more of the following residency requirements:

Current Carman Hall Residents

Summer at Carman

Current Carman residents who intend to live on campus during the summer must take part in the summer reservation process, which is found on our Summer Housing page.

Returning Reservation Process

If you wish to continue living in Carman for the next academic term, be sure to complete the returning resident reservation process, which takes place on My Room.

For more information, contact Residence and Greek life by phone (312.567.5075) or e-mail (

New and Incoming Resident Information

Carman Hall features studio and one bedroom with den apartments.

Eligibility for incoming residents is based on graduate student standing, successful completion of student family housing application, and/or age at which you submit your housing request.

Reserve your room for the upcoming academic year in My Room

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of apartments are available in Carman Hall?

Carman Hall features studio apartments for two students and one bedroom with den apartments for four students.

What furniture is provided?

Each student is provided with study desk with chair, a dresser, and an extra-long twin bed. The apartment is also provided a couch,  a table with four chairs (one bedroom with den only), and kitchen appliances (gas range and refrigerator).

Can furniture be removed from the apartment?

Residents cannot remove University provided furniture. Residents needing accommodations can request furniture removal.

Can students with families or dependants live in Carman Hall?

Carman Hall is ideal for students with families or dependants. Contact Residence and Greek Life to review available options. Please visit our Student Family Housing page for more information!

How do students pay for Carman Hall?

Residents make all payments through the Student Accounting Office. Payments are due each semester, similar to tuition.

What are the cancellation terms of the Carman Hall contract?

Important cancellation terms and deadlines can be reviewed here.

Does Carman Hall allow pets?

Carman Hall does not allow pets. Service animals are permitted. Contact the Office of Students with Disabilities for additional information.

Is smoking permitted?

All campus housing is compliant with State of IL indoor air quality policies. Smoking is only permitted outside of the building.

Is a pre-payment required?

No pre-payment is required for on-campus housing.