Filling Out the Paperwork
- Fill out an Organization Event Registration Form - HawkLink.
- Submit form to the Greek Life Coordinator in the Residence and Greek Life Office via HawkLink no later than 5 business days prior to any organization event.
- Wait to receive confirmation from the Greek Life Coordinator to ensure your event is approved.
- If your event includes alcohol, you must fill out the Social Event Registration form.
- Fill out an Alcohol section on Social Event Registration Form - HawkLink.
- Submit form to the Greek Life Coordinator via HawkLink no later than 5 business days prior to the event.
- Wait to receive confirmation from the Greek Life Coordinator to ensure your event is approved (you will receive a response within two business days of submission).
- Turn in the pre guest list no later than two business days before the event and post guest list to the Greek Life Coordinator no later than one business day after the event. All guest list must be submitted to Greek Life Coordinator in Residence and Greek Life office. Guest list can be found on HawkLink.
Social Event Requirements
- Follow all city, country and state laws
- Appoint sober event monitors - Residence and Greek Life recommends 2 chapter members per 100 guests to serve as sober monitors. They should also agree not to drink at all the day of the event.
- Do not use chapter funds to purchase alcohol - The safest method of alcohol control is through a third-party vendor; if this is not possible, make the event BYOB. Remember that persons 21 years of age and older should be permitted to bring and consume alcohol at a BYOB party.
- Do not sell alcohol - Charging for admission or for a cup and then providing alcohol is never allowed.
- Have a sober event monitor or security guard check identification at the door and identify those over the legal drinking age with wristbands
- Have a closed party - Limit the guest list to members, dates and friends. This should be no larger than 3X the number of members (i.e. - 20 members = 60 guests allowed for a total of 80 people).
- Do not permit drinking games
Social Event Tips and Tricks
- Serve unsalted food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Set a starting and ending time for the event
- Keep people away from roofs, open windows, balconies, open wells and docks
- Provide safe transportation - a designated driver program or third party transportation service
- Post signs which indicate your chapter complies with and enforces laws and policies with respect to alcohol
- Do not use alcohol as the main attraction
- Do not allow bottles
- If some is intoxicated, make sure that he or she is taken care of properly
- Hire security
- Have a procedure or policy defined with dealing with difficult guests
- "After hours" parties are not encouraged - often many of the guests who will attend are already intoxicated, which will increase your liability exposure