Close Menu

Co-Terminal Degree FAQs

What is a co-terminal degree?
Co-terminal degrees allow IIT students to simultaneously complete both an undergraduate and graduate degree (Bachelor's degree and Master's degree). Consult the Co-Terminal Handbook and the Co-terminal Degrees webpage for complete information.

Back to top

Where do I find the current list of co-terminal degree programs?
An up-to-date list of co-terminal degree programs is available in the Graduate Bulletin.

Back to top

When can I apply to a co-terminal degree program?
To be eligible to apply for a co-terminal program, you must:

• Have at least 12 undergraduate credits left to complete in the first semester of co-terminal study. For example, if you apply for Fall 2017 co-terminal study, you must have at least 12 undergraduate credits left to complete in Fall 2017.
  • Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Illinois Tech
  • Have completed at least 60 or more credit hours of applicable undergraduate coursework, with a minimum of 12 credits earned at Illinois Tech
  • Have a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 or 3.25/4.0, depending on the program. GPA admission requirements vary by program; please contact the academic unit or cotermdegrees@iit.edu directly for specific GPA requirements.
  • Have not yet applied for undergraduate degree conferral (ie. graduation).

Back to top

How do I apply for a co-terminal degree?
Co-terminal applications are coordinated through the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs. Learn more about applying to a co-terminal degree here.

Back to top

How will co-terminal studies affect my financial aid?
Prospective students should meet with the Office of Financial Aid to discuss the financial implications of co-terminal study. Admitted co-terminal students who are eligible for federal financial aid are required to meet in person with the Office of Financial Aid It is the student’s responsibility to understand the financial implications of entering a co-terminal degree.

All newly admitted co-terminal students who are not federal aid recipients will be invited to attend a Co-Terminal Live session to review the rules and regulations for financial aid as it pertains to the co-terminal program. Details of the session will be emailed to the student by the Office of Financial Aid. Alternatively, if a student is not able to attend the live session, s/he may schedule an appointment to meet with a financial aid staff member to satisfy this requirement. 

For more information about tuition and financial aid, check out the Tuition and Financial Aid page on the Co-terminal Degrees site.

Back to top

How will co-terminal studies affect my visa and/or I-20?
Please meet with the International Center to discuss the visa implications of co-terminal study.

Back to top

Are co-terminal students undergraduate or graduate students?
Co-terminal students are considered undergraduate students, and are subject to all the policies governing undergraduate study.

Back to top

What does a co-terminal adviser do?
Co-terminal advisers help students develop their graduate degree plan, and oversee academic advising for the graduate portion of a co-terminal degree. Please see your major adviser for questions regarding your undergraduate degree.

Back to top

What is a Plan of Study?
The Plan of Study (Form G401/406) is the vehicle for establishing each graduate student's degree plan with the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs. An official Plan of Study is mandatory for graduate degree programs and must be filed by a co-terminal student, for final approval, in the first semester of co-terminal enrollment and no later than the last day of that semester. Failure to comply will result in the student’s dismissal from co-terminal study. For more information about how to complete the Plan of Study, check out the Co-terminal Shared Credit and Plan of Study Guide.

Back to top

How can I share course credits between my undergraduate and graduate degree programs?
IIT allows co-terminal students to share up to 9 credit hours between their undergraduate and graduate programs; however, some co-terminal programs allow a smaller amount of shared credit or no shared credit. Please consult your co-terminal adviser for details.

Students should designate the courses they wish to share with their graduate degree by filing the Co-Terminal Shared Credit and/or Course Substitution and Exception form in eForms for Degree Works. This must be done before submitting the Plan of Study in the first semester of the co-terminal enrollment. For more information, please review the Co-Terminal Shared Credit and Plan of Study Guide.

Back to top

How long do I have to complete my co-terminal degrees?
Students have six years to complete their co-terminal degrees. If the co-terminal degrees are not completed at the end of six years, the student will be dismissed from the co-terminal program and updated to an undergraduate student status only.

Back to top

How do I remain in good academic standing for my co-terminal program?
Co-terminal students must maintain a graduate cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 in order to remain in good graduate academic standing. Students who achieve a graduate GPA of less than 3.0/4.0 will be placed on graduate academic probation, and may be dismissed from co-terminal study in a future semester.

Co-terminal students who do not earn at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, a 1.85 term GPA, a 2.0 major GPA, or who do not maintain satisfactory academic progress are placed on undergraduate academic probation. Co-terminal students who are placed on undergraduate academic probation will be dismissed from the co-terminal program.

Back to top

How do I change my co-terminal program?
Co-terminal students may transfer to an equivalent degree within the same academic unit by filing the Change of Degree, Major, and/or Declare Concentration, Project or Thesis form in eForms for Degree Works. For more information, please visit our Academic Procedures FAQ page.

Co-terminal students who wish to transfer to another academic unit or from a professional to research degree must complete a new co-terminal application.

Back to top

How do I apply for co-terminal degree conferral?
In the last semester of their co-terminal degree, students must apply for undergraduate graduation by the published deadline in the academic calendar or a late fee will be assessed. The Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs will convey the co-terminal graduation application information to the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs.

Back to top

How do I withdraw from my co-terminal program?
You must complete the G218 Withdrawal from Co-Terminal Study Form and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs.

Back to top

Can I still complete my undergraduate degree if I am dismissed or withdraw from the co-terminal program?
Yes - you will be allowed to complete your undergraduate degree according to the academic rules of undergraduate study.

Back to top

When will I receive my undergraduate degree?
Co-terminal degrees are awarded simultaneously, so you will not receive your undergraduate degree until all of your co-terminal requirements (undergraduate and graduate) have been fulfilled.

Back to top