All three ROTC branches of the military (Air Force, Army, and Navy) are represented at Illinois Tech. Interested students may apply for scholarships through their respective ROTC branches. For a full list of ROTC contract scholarships, including ROTC Room and Board scholarships, use the ROTC Contract Scholarship and ROTC R&B Scholarship List.
ROTC Contract Scholarship
Each military branch determines the scholarship award provided to the cadet and submits the information to the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Student Accounting. The Office of Student Accounting will then post branch awards to each cadet’s account. If the branch indicates the cadet is eligible for only a partial branch award, depending on the type of branch benefit awarded to the student, they might be eligible for an ROTC IIT scholarship. Additionally, students who are federal aid recipients and who have been awarded the MAP Grant should note that if they are covered 100% by their branch, the MAP Grant will be removed from their account.
Air Force IIT Scholarship
Air Force Type 2 students eligible for a partial scholarship through Illinois Tech will receive coverage through Illinois Tech to cover their remaining tuition and fees. Student who are federal aid recipients and have been awarded the MAP Grant should note that this award will be added to their account in combination of their Air Force IIT Scholarship.
ROTC Room and Board Scholarship
Cadets receiving a branch scholarship are eligible for the ROTC Room and Board Scholarship, based on the criteria below:
- The ROTC Room and Board scholarship replaces any original institutional housing scholarship offered to a student.
- Cadets opting to live in McCormick Student Village (MSV), graduate apartments, or Illinois Tech sororities will receive the ROTC Room and Board Scholarship covering up to the cost the standard double room in MSV ($2,942 per semester for 2015-2016).
- The ROTC Room and Board scholarship also covers the cost of the student's selected meal plan up to the cost of the Hawk 19 meal plan ($2,816 per semester for 2015-2016).
- Cadets who are eligible for the Pell Grant or SEOG award will have the EOG grant removed from their account if they are receiving benefits from their respective branches as this reward is reserved for students with the highest need.
- If a cadet elects a more costly housing option than what the ROTC Room and Board scholarship covers, he/she is free to do so but will be held responsible to cover the remaining cost of housing personally.
- Cadets who choose to live in State Street Village (SSV) will not receive a ROTC Room and Board Scholarship.
- Cadets who opt to live off campus will not receive a ROTC Room and Board Scholarship.
- Fraternity Resident Stipulations: Cadets who matriculated prior to the summer 2012 term will be eligible for a ROTC Room and Board Scholarship at a fixed rate of $2,588 per semester, regardless of fraternity choice, meal plan enrollment, or initial housing charges received. Cadets who matriculated after the summer 2012 term will be eligible for the ROTC Greek Housing Scholarship. Additionally, they will be eligible for an IIT ROTC Board Scholarship should they have a charge on their account for a meal plan.
ROTC Greek Housing Scholarship
The ROTC Greek Room Scholarship became eligible for matriculated ROTC students who receive ROTC funds and living in fraternity housing during the fall or spring semester. This scholarship will cover up to $1,900 each semester. However, the award amount will vary depending on the charges outlined on their Greek Housing Contract and will be contingent upon submission of the student’s contract to the Office of Financial Aid. Eligible students will receive an email each semester with instruction for the submission of their contract.
Students should note that depending on the student’s federal eligibility there may be additional adjustments on the student’s account to ensure that their account remains within their allotted budget.
ROTC Removal and Institutional Award Reinstatement
In the event that a student no longer elects to participate in the ROTC program or the ROTC program deems the cadet ineligible for a term, the student’s financial aid will be reverted to the original scholarship package offered to the student at the time of their admittance to the university. Students should note that these adjustments would occur once the student’s branch confirms ineligibility for a given semester.
ROTC Summer Continuation
There is no ROTC scholarship award for students who wish to study at Illinois Tech during the summer term. A student's initial scholarship package will be utilized to calculate eligibility following the Summer Term Financial Aid Policy.