Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

How many guest tickets can I have?

Students that filled out the online RSVP form by the February deadline will receive four (4) tickets at Graduate Salute. Contact your Academic Unit Ceremony Planner to be put on a waiting list for tickets if you did not RSVP on time using the online form or if you would like to request additional tickets. You are not guaranteed tickets unless you have completed the RSVP form on time. Space is limited at the unit ceremonies and allocation of additional tickets is at the discretion of the unit planner.

If I graduated before this academic year, can I attend Commencement?

Commencement is held once annually for students who graduate in the fall, spring or summer of that academic year.

Can I participate in Commencement next year?

Commencement participation is open only to students who graduate in the fall, spring or summer of that academic year.

When do I receive my diploma?

Students who graduated in summer 2014 and fall 2013 are able to receive their diplomas shortly after the end of the term. Students graduating in spring 2014 will receive their diploma at the Academic Unit Ceremony on Commencement day if there are no Office of the Bursar holds or outstanding financial obligations to the university. If you have questions regarding your diploma, please contact the Office of the Registrar at registrar@iit.edu.

When and where will I get my guest tickets?

Guest tickets will be available for pick-up at Graduate Salute, which will be held from noon–7 p.m. on Monday, April 28 and Tuesday, April 29 in the Hermann Hall Ballroom.

If you are out of state and/or unable to claim your tickets at Graduate Salute, you must arrange to pick them up from the Academic Unit Ceremony Planner prior to Commencement day. Otherwise, you will be able to pick them up on the morning of Commencement, Saturday, May 17, between 7:00–8:30 a.m. at the MTCC.

Will my full name appear in the program?

Full names appear in the program, just as they do on the diploma. To change your name as it appears in the student information system, please update your personal information here.

What is Graduate Salute?

If you are participating in Commencement on Saturday, May 17, you must plan to attend Graduate Salute on either April 28 or April 29 between the hours of noon–7 p.m. in the Hermann Hall Ballroom on Main Campus. At this two-day event (students attend on only one day) you will pick up your regalia (cap and gown/hood) and guest tickets. You can also purchase diploma frames, class rings, alumni merchandise, or have a professional photo taken in your regalia by GradImages. Images are available for purchase after the event. Learn more

If I can’t come to Graduate Salute, can I have someone else pick up my regalia or guest tickets?

No—only the graduating student may pick up his/her regalia and guest tickets using a student ID or picture ID. Please do not send a family member or friend to pick up your regalia or guest tickets.

Is there another day before Graduate Salute when I can pick up regalia?

Regalia is only distributed at Graduate Salute and at Commencement, the morning of the event.

Do babies in strollers need to have a ticket?

Each guest two years of age and older will need a ticket to be admitted to the Opening Ceremony and Academic Unit Ceremonies.

I need to bring a stroller. Is this considered a disability?

No—having to bring a stroller is not a disability and you are welcome to bring a stroller. Please note: the Opening Ceremony does take place outdoors and on grass. Also, the Academic Unit Ceremonies may not be able to accommodate a stroller and you may need to leave it outside of the event space.

Is there special seating for people with disabilities?

Yes—a special seating section will be designated for people who use wheelchairs. Wheelchair users in this section will be allowed one companion seat.

One of my guests has a disability. How do I request an accommodation?

For guests who are wheelchair users or have another impairment, such as a visual or hearing impairment, and require an accommodation, please contact the Center for Disability Resources at 312.567.5744 as soon as possible to arrange for an accommodation.

Are all Academic Unit Ceremonies wheelchair accessible?

Yes, they are. For specific questions about unit ceremony locations, contact the Center for Disability Resources. Volunteers will be available at each unit ceremony to assist with operating wheelchair lift and stair lifts.

Can I borrow or rent a wheelchair for the Commencement ceremony?

No—IIT does not have wheelchairs onsite during the day of the ceremony to rent or borrow; you will have to bring your own wheelchair. Wheelchairs can be rented from a medical supply store or purchased from stores such as Walgreens or Costco. Resources for wheelchair rentals include:

Will shuttles be available, and if so, are they handicapped accessible?

Yes—there will be shuttle buses equipped with wheelchair lifts for guests who are wheelchair users. Shuttles will start to run throughout Main Campus AFTER the Opening Ceremony has concluded.

I have more questions regarding a guest's or my own disability. Whom can I contact?

For all disabilities questions or to request an accommodation for you or one of your guests for graduation, please visit www.iit.edu/cdr or call 312.567.5744. The Center for Disability Resources can answer questions regarding only a disability you or your family member may have. This office cannot answer questions regarding the ceremony itself.

Is it possible for family and friends to take photographs or videos?

Please feel free to bring your cameras to take photos after the Academic Unit Ceremonies.

Guests will not be allowed to leave their seats to photograph or videotape the graduates during any ceremony.

The aisles need to remain clear at all times, and especially during the processional, ceremony, and recessional. No freestanding equipment will be allowed.

There will be unlimited opportunities for personal photographs after the Academic Unit Ceremonies.

Graduating students and their guests are welcome to take photos inside Paul V. Galvin Library, on the upper level, north side of the building near the glass windows that face campus.

I have a question, but it is not answered here. Whom should I contact?

Undergraduate Student Application ugaa@iit.edu
Graduate Student Application gradcoll@iit.edu
IIT Stuart School of Business studentaffairs@stuart.iit.edu
IIT Chicago-Kent commencement@kentlaw.edu
Diploma registrar@iit.edu
Disability Services disabilities@iit.edu
International Student icenter@iit.edu
Commencement Ceremony commencement@iit.edu