A fluid dynamicist, John T. Rettaliata was IIT’s second president (1952–1973) following the merger of Armour Institute of Technology and Lewis Institute. As president he oversaw the greatest growth period in the history of the university, which included the expansion of Main Campus, the addition of Chicago-Kent College of Law, and the founding of Stuart School of Business. Rettaliata held a seat on the National Advisory Council for Aeronautics and the National Aeronautics and Space Council, the planning body of the newly formed NASA. After leaving IIT, he became chair of the board of Banca di Roma in Chicago and served on multiple industry boards.
IIT President 1952-1973