As president of Armour Institute of Technology, Henry T. Heald was one of the key people responsible for the merger of Armour with Lewis Institute to create Illinois Institute of Technology in 1940. Healed served as president of IIT from 1940–1952, during which time he established the quality of IIT’s faculty by recruiting outstanding American and European scholars during World War II, including Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Under his guidance, IIT developed from a small engineering school into a significant technology center. Upon retirement from academia in 1956, Heald served as president of The Ford Foundation. He appeared on the cover of Time magazine in 1957.